December 19th | The greatest gift

⁕*⁕
December 20, New York City, USAMary

Sina and I were the two who couldn't wait for Christmas. I started to feel like Carol was a little desperate, but all I could do was laugh about it. I took care of Sina more and more, took her to school and went ice-skating with her. I liked something about having a real job. It reminded me of Australia, where I had always helped on the farm. I didn't miss it, but I did miss my parents. This would be my first Christmas without her and Josh. But I really didn't miss Josh. When I got off my shift at Cup'n cozy, I set out to pick up Sina with a big smile. And she smiled just as broad. I loved that girl like a little sister. Just as I had always longed for a sister or at least a brother. In Australia, I had always been lonely. Maybe that's why I always wanted to get away from there.

That afternoon, I had made another appointment with Edith. We had spent several evenings together and got along better and better. It seemed almost surreal, but she was my first real friend. My inner child was healed. I had mentally assisted her in some of her layers, as well as she did me. Jack had allowed Edith more suspiciously than kindly to help me from time to time. But Jack was a good employer, and I couldn't blame him for choosing exactly who to leave behind. For he was holy. During a short break, I stood next to Edith in the cold, pulling a cigarette. Not that I advocated smoking, but she should do what she wanted.

"I'm totally jealous of you," Edith said at some point, and I turned my head to her. "Why?" "You've been able to fulfill that dream you've always had. I'm still stuck here and I don't know where it's driving me." I watched the clouds move on. "I think you'll find what you want to do. Sometimes it just takes longer. I don't know what to do when this year is over and I have to go back to Australia." Edith tied her dark hair to a ponytail again and squeezed out the cigarette. "Actually, I want to be an actress," she said. "But it's not so easy here." Interested I looked at her now. "Have you applied anywhere yet?" I asked Edith. "Of course. But I was always rejected." I pondered. "I think Carol is doing something like that. I'll ask her." Edith nodded gratefully before we went back inside.

When I got home that night, I talked to Carol right away. "I work in an agency. If Edith wants to apply there, I can give you some documents. I can't promise whether she'll make it any better." I nodded. "Thank you, that will help her." Maybe I couldn't save the world, but helping a friend get a part on stage couldn't be that hard after all.

⁕*⁕

⁕*⁕