December 20th | Here for christmas

⁕*⁕
December 23, Northern Territory, AustraliaLenny

My foot still bothered me. Because of my injury I could no longer help Paul on the farm. It didn't hurt much, but Ella forced me to stand as little as possible. So I just helped her with dinner or spent my evening talking to Mary on the phone. Christmas had never been so close to me, not even when it had snowed in New York and we had decorated the whole apartment. Because ever since I met Mary, I knew that Christmas was so much more than just a time of year that I associated with my dad. That's why I hobbled down the stairs to the kitchen-living room to spend some time on the sofa, overlooking the giant Christmas tree next to the cozy fireplace that was never fired.

I scrolled through my phone and looked at the photos I had taken over the past few weeks. Besides the many sheep and the one kangaroo, there were also many selfies of Mary and me. I couldn't help but smile. She made me happy. Really happy. Who would have thought that one person really existed? When I heard someone walking down the hallway, I locked my screen within seconds. Nobody in this house had any idea how well I had "understood" with Mary. I wasn't interested in Josh finding out so quickly, either. Not until Mary told him herself. So I listened. The steps had stopped and now I heard someone talking to someone very quietly. I held my breath to understand something. "Josh, this isn't a joke. You don't have to wait until she's 21. Just fly to her. Here are your tickets." I quietly opened my phone and recorded what I heard.

"Paul!" came Josh confused. "Josh, my girl is never going to come home if you don't. She has to stay here. I'm going to get her to cancel the year abroad. She's falling way too much in love with the city. And for you, she'd come back, I know." I heard something rustling. "There, here you have everything you need. If you leave Alice Springs in three hours, you'll be in New York early enough." "I don't want her to go either," Josh replied. "But I can't force her to do it... I can't ask her until she's 21." "Paperlapap. Go on. Mary is all over you." I heard Josh running up the stairs and Paul leaving the house. I was left with a shocked look on my face and a shot that was supposed to save me.

When I checked the airfares five minutes later, I was on the verge of losing my mind. I had no choice but to follow Josh. What he was planning could have devastating consequences. Not only would Mary accept his proposal, but she would give up her dream for him. I couldn't let that girl's dream be taken away. That's why I got up from the sofa. Luckily, my foot made it quite easy for me. Then I went to Ella to ask her a big favor. I didn't say anything about Mary, though.

⁕*⁕

⁕*⁕