December 18th | Another Merry Christmas

⁕*⁕
December 19, Northern Territory, AustraliaLenny

I kept my promise, and I called Mary more often. Although I suffered from sleep deprivation on a regular basis, it was worth it. Slowly, I got the feeling that Mary might decide for me after all. As if her eyes had been opened in New York. As if she had found a new way. At least I hoped so, because I wouldn't give up that easily. Especially when I wanted to know Josh's secret. That's why I insisted on taking him out to the pastures where the sheep were kept. Actually, I found this job quite boring in the long run. But at least I wanted to get myself out of all this Christmas hustle and bustle. If it wasn't for the Christmas tree in the spacious living room kitchen, I could have been sure it was July. But that's how Australia worked.

Josh jumped off the tracker, and I followed him. We shook the sheep around and checked them to see if any of them were sick. Just two minutes later, Josh spotted a limping lamb and loaded it into the tracker's trailer. I didn't really understand much about this farming stuff yet, but I knew Josh knew about it. "We're done here, let's get back," Josh said to me and jumped back behind the wheel. The heat was making me a little anxious, so I pulled upstairs. "How do you know how to deal with animals?" I asked him, rubbing over my aching ankle. I must have bent over somewhere. "Years of experience. Since I've been with Paul more often, I've learned a lot." "More often?" I asked interestedly. "Paul didn't like me in the past because I seemed to steal his daughter from him. But for two months now he's finally trusting me. Maybe it's not so bad either. When Mary comes back, I'm going to ask her to marry me. Then an untrusting father-in-law gets in my way." I didn't say it because it stabbed me in the heart. Mary probably hadn't spoken to him since we kissed.

After a few seconds of silence, I finally answered, "You're probably right," and stared back to the front, where the farm was getting closer and closer. When we got back to the barn, we got out and Josh unloaded the sheep. He took it to the barn and left me outside alone. I walked – or rather limped – towards the farmhouse. Ella had just opened the patio door and watched me anxiously as I approached her. "What happened to your foot?" she asked me. "I have to bend over somewhere," I gave her back and sat down on the bench in front of the house. "Wait, I'll take a look at this. Just a moment, I need to talk to Josh quickly." I just nodded and took off my shoe. My ankle was unusually thick and a little blue. Great, I had just missed that. Two minutes later Ella and Josh came out of the barn with lamb on their arms. Paul also came around the corner and took the lamb from Josh to take care of it. While Ella was caring for my foot, I watched Josh and Paul talking to each other. I couldn't be his, but according to Josh's hand movements, this wasn't about injured sheep.

"Isn't it crazy how well the two get along?" Ella asked, getting up again. "Two months ago, they couldn't stand each other. Mary always struggled to get Josh to come to us. Paul hardly let him." I looked at her. "What has changed since then?" I tried to figure it out. "I don't know. One day they went to the pasture together and when they came back they both seemed to be radiant with joy and were inseparable." I pondered. "By the way, your foot is fine. A small sprain, but it will be fine in a week." I just nodded mindlessly and watched Paul disappear behind the barn.

⁕*⁕

⁕*⁕