December 15th | Santa tell me

⁕*⁕
December 8, Northern Territory, AustraliaLenny

It was quite early in the morning when I woke up. My alarm clock went to 7:30 and I peeled myself out of bed. I heard how outside the sheep rumorten and also Paul, who worked something with a slightly too loud chainsaw. I put on a shirt and ran down to the kitchen where I met Ella. She seemed happy and cheerful, just like every day. She handed me a coffee, which I drank in silence afterwards. "Paul is getting help in the fields today. He said he didn't need you today. However, it would be great if you could help us with the housework." Ella explained to me a moment later. I nodded. I enjoyed every second of my life here in Australia. Everything seemed much quieter and more pleasant to me. So I was just as excited to help Ella with the housework as Paul was with the sheep.

An hour later, I found myself in the laundry room and was confronted with laundry that I had never really done before. But after Ella's explanation I quickly understood and hung the dripping laundry right outside. It really couldn't take long to finish in the heat. My eyes fell on the pastures behind the house. From here I could see Paul standing under a tree with another man. The man looked younger and, unlike Paul, did not wear a top. Slightly irritated, I looked away. "By the way, the young man with Paul is Josh." Ella suddenly said behind me. I turned to her and then looked at him again. So that was Mary's boyfriend. "I'm sure Mary told you about him." "Yes, she did.", I gave back and could not hide the jealousy in my voice. Ella gave me a moment before listing other tasks I had to do. I also followed these instructions rather silently, until Ella finally called me to dinner around noon.

I disappeared into the bathroom again and washed off the sweat and dirt from my face that I had accumulated at work. I looked at myself in the mirror and ran through my hair again. The T-shirt was also dirty and there were some stains on my shorts from cleaning. I sighed briefly. Things had been different in New York. Not bad different, just more familiar. In a way, I missed home. But I missed Mary even more. It was true that she was in the whole house, for her things were everywhere, but it seemed more like a ghost of her who had settled in that house. Like a forgotten memory. Part of me wanted to go back to New York just to be with her. But at the same time, I realized that this idea was incredibly stupid. Mary was fine. Her life was perfect, and I would just ruin everything. Even if she wished things were different. Even though she let me go with tears in her eyes. I should stop and enjoy my exchange year. Just like I planned.

When I was sitting at the table and finally Josh walked into the room, I got nervous. Although I was sure Mary really hadn't told him anything, I was just as sure that he could cut my head short if he wanted to. Josh was a muscular, brown-haired guy with piercing green eyes. Mary had made a good catch with him. He seemed courteous and polite and got along well with her parents. Although it seemed to me that Paul had an eye on him. But Ella seemed to really love him. So we were introduced to each other again. And Josh didn't act in the least bit like I was the one who kissed his girlfriend. This boy really didn't deserve to have his heart broken. Shit, I was right. Mary had already found the right one.

⁕*⁕

⁕*⁕