December 17th | You're a mean one, Mr Grinch

⁕*⁕
December 15, Northern Territory, AustraliaLenny

When I got outside, I saw Josh and Paul standing in the barn talking. I ran up to them and stood next to Paul, who was explaining to Josh what he had to do. I waited patiently until Paul also told me what I had to do. I would help Josh, which I kind of liked. It didn't hurt to get to know Mary's friend better. When we were chopping hay together a quarter of an hour later, both of us were silent for the time being. "So you're Marriah's friend?" I asked him after a while, careful not to call her Mary. After all, I didn't want to draw any unnecessary attention. "Yes," he answered briefly, pointing the hay over the hay floor of the barn. I tossed him up again while I continued to try to question him. "Why do you work so much at Paul's?" Josh glanced at me over the edge. "I enjoy it. I'm learning something decent for life. Besides, I've known the family for ages." I stopped and thought about what Mary had told me. They've been together since she was sixteen. It's been four years. Exactly four years, then came to my mind with horror. Mary's birthday, of course.

"I'll be right back!" I shouted to Josh and then ran out of the barn towards the house. Neither Paul nor Ella would approve of that, but I didn't care at that moment. I ran to my room and reached for my cell phone. Then I called Mary. Two seconds later, a sleepy face appeared on the screen. "Happy Birthday!" I shouted to her. Mary twisted her face. "Great, I'm one year closer to death." I grinned. "Three weeks ago, you were looking forward to turning twenty-one. Now you're upset about being twenty?" Mary gave me a long look. "Three weeks ago I didn't know you." She yawned. "I'm flattered. Did I wake you up?" Mary nodded. "Yes, you actually threw me out of my dreams into the harsh reality of twenty years ago. "You've never called," she then realized. I also noticed at that moment that I was calling her for the first time since I was in Australia. Mary smiled. Just a little bit, but I noticed. And I realized again why I loved that girl so much. "Do it more often. But at more humane times." I nodded. "Okay." We talked about this and that for a while, until I could be sure Mary wouldn't fall asleep any second.

"I've met Josh," I said to her, careful not to hit the wrong nerve. "Oh, yes?" Mary asked me. "Is he helping my mom fix something again?" I looked at her confused. "Your mom? No. He's helping Paul at the farm." Now it was Mary's turn to look confused. "That and Josh? It's no good. They're like Tom and Jerry. Dad hates him and always hopes I'll break up with him." That's what I did. "But the two seem to be quite familiar. Josh also said earlier that he likes to help Paul, and he's known you guys for ages." "That's really unusual. I've never experienced anything like this before." I promised Mary I'd keep my eyes open before I said goodbye to her to help Josh again. Josh looked impatient and angry when I got to him. "Done again.", I heard the anger in his voice. "Yeah," I just gave it back and grabbed the shovel again. "Next time, tell your friend to get a good night's sleep before you call her." I looked at him in shock. "What are you looking at? I don't care which girl you pick up in NYC, but you're working here right now." Relief spread within me. "Ay boss," I said ironically and continued to throw the hay at him. What was Josh up to?

⁕*⁕

⁕*⁕