Chapter Two

“Lindsey looks quite stunning in the ensemble I chose for her doesn’t she?” I asked my mother and father sweetly.

            “She looks gorgeous,” My father dipped his head. Lindsey smiled and I met my mother’s glare head-on.

            “I said no funny business,” She whispered after Lindsey left to join the other noble families awaiting our appearance.

            “Lindsey seemed sad that she was not attending. I wanted her to have a good time,” I shrugged.

            “Darling, she did a gracious deed. You quite often tell her to,” My father defended me. He had my back sometimes- depending on what I did and who it affected.

            “At least warn me next time,” My mother sighed and smiled.

            “I present to you, the royal family,” I heard someone announce and the trumpets fan fared. I was to greet the guests tonight as I had done several times but my mother was jittery about this time more than the others.

            “Thank you all for joining me and my family tonight! For those of you who don’t know me, I am Princess Tara Anne, and if you need anything please make me, my parents, or a servant aware and we will address your problem immediately!” I smiled. I saw dozens of people all meandering around. My father gestured for the music to start playing but people hesitated to dance. I felt my mother tense up so I walked up to a handsome young man and took him by the hand.

            He seemed quite shocked as I took him to the middle of the floor and begin to dance with him.

            “Hello Your Highness,” He mumbled.

            “Don’t be so shy,” I smiled.

            “You are quite intimidating,” He said.

            “It’s a gift,” I winked and he loosened up a bit.

            “Are your parties always so extravagant?” He asked.

            “I never noticed but I suppose they are,” I shrugged.

            “I’m from a smaller country up north. The weather here in the summer is quite like ours but if I visited in the winter it would be a much different story,” He laughed.

            “I forgot to inquire your name,” I said, noticing the new dancers on the floor. I spotted a woman in a flowing peach dress dancing with a man in a light brown suit.

            “I’m Sir Laden Kinkert,” He said proudly.

            “That is a rocking last name,” I laughed.

            “You are Princess Tara Anne, unless you were pulling our legs,” Laden laughed.

            “No, I am in fact the Princess Tara Anne but I may also be someone else,” I said mysteriously.

            “You are quite funny,” He laughed.

            “I get that a lot,” I winked.

            “You aren’t very shy with a stranger are you?” Laden asked.

            “I have no shame,” I said.

            “Why did you throw a dance now? Is it a yearly thing?” Laden asked casually. I noticed his tone seemed a bit brittle and it had throughout this dance. I wondered if he was lying about his name and was getting information. I was going to do the same.