Chapter Sixteen

I was never able to find the golden-haired man after the dance. I stayed until everyone left except the servants and he was gone. Terence never saw him leave while he was guarding the doors.

            I walked outside and sighed. I gasped as I noticed all the citizens staring in awe at the party. I noticed there was a closed gate to them. The servants hadn’t started cleaning yet and these people looked very hungry. In a fit of pity, I let them in and only one timid old man hesitantly stepped forward.

            “Why hello good sir, may I interest you in some yummy food?” I asked and he nodded silently. He was frail and thin from the harsh winter. I felt physically sick with guilt, but I steadily took his arm in mine and led him into the dining hall of the church. The servants were surprised but went with it.

            “Here have a seat and your food will be out shortly!” I said, clearing away dirty dishes and stacking them on an empty table. There was so much leftover food that it wasn’t even funny.

            A timid couple sat next to him and soon there was a steady trickle of people but everyone was stiff and tense. I set up more chairs and the servants began to help me prepare a feast of the leftovers.

            “Try to give everyone as much as you possibly can!” I said to the head chef, who had agreed to cook extra if she had to. I thanked her graciously and slipped her three gold pieces.

            Soon, the room was full of people talking quietly, but this certainly wasn’t what I had imagined. I went around the room asking for musicians until I had enough to play music. I gave them sheet music and they started playing.

            I took the first old man I brought in and started dancing with him. He began smiling, a toothy grin of pure joy. We span around and galloped and jumped until he could take no more and returned to his meal. I saw a few more people dancing and grabbed the hands of a small boy who gave me a big grin as I taught him some dance steps and after a while, I let him stand on my feet and hold my hands as we danced.

            Terence walked back in with a shocked look. Many people were dancing and laughing and servants were enjoying idle chit-chat with the guests.

            “What is going on?” He hissed.

            “They were hungry and I will not watch my people starve!” I said insistently.

            “Your parents are going to-“ I cut him off.

            “My parents can do what they like! I’m throwing a party!” I said insistently and Terence reluctantly backed down. I smiled and turned to look at my guests. Servants and the guests talked and laughed together.

            I spotted old couples dancing alongside young couples and I saw children running around playing and I saw their parents try to catch them before they knocked something over. I spotted content and full smiles and felt amazing.  I was like a saint. Saint Tara Anne! I thought in a comical heroic voice.

            I helped the cooks serve the last cream cakes and everyone dug in. I saw children hungrily shove handfuls into their mouths, following scolding’s from their mothers.

            “It goes in your mouth silly,” I walked to one little boy and wiped his face off and his smiled. Terence walked up beside me and gave me a smile.

            “You did an amazing thing,” He whispered, scanning the room.

            “Did you find him?” I asked.