Chapter Eleven

I smiled at my mother and father as they danced their way through the evening. After this dance, there was the final dance. The women dressed their most extravagantly and danced their craziest.

            “Well you look too stunning tonight,” I heard the familiar voice.

            “Prince Arthur,” I curtsied. I wore a tight, especially thanks to my dumb corset, pink dress. It flared out from my waist down and I wore white ballet flats with little pink roses on the toes and I wore rosy jewelry and an extravagant pink hairpiece.

            “I just had to see you yet again,” Prince Arthur and I glided onto the dance floor.

            “Well I’m glad you came,” I smiled and we glided around the dance floor and I felt the butterflies in my stomach flutter like crazy.

            “You are a divine dancer, but I believe you know that,” He whispered.

            “I could say the same about you if you would stop stepping on my toes,” I laughed.

            “Maybe you could slow down,” He laughed. The song ended and I bowed and walked to my seat. I scanned the room for Ortho, but he wasn’t here.

            “Who are you looking for darling?” My father whispered, making me jump.

            “Oh no one,” I shook my head.

            “Are you alright? You seem more on edge. You can tell me you know,” My father sat next to me.

            “I’m fine father. I’m just tired from all the dancing I’ve been doing,” I smiled, trying my best to reassure him.

            “I’ll be okay with that answer… for now,” He smiled and watched up to a duke from Mercury. Well, maybe Mercury, but it was hard to tell.

            “Tara, this wine is fantastic!” Maggie sat next to me.

            “Your family picked it out!” I laughed.

            “I didn’t do the tasting!” She laughed.

            “Good thing too; I’m cutting you off,” I took her glass.

            “I’ve only had three!” Maggie said.

            “Oh come on Maggie! You know you have a low alcohol tolerance,” I sighed and walked her up to my bedroom.

            “Lindsey, would you mind watching her until a family member grabs her? She’s a little drunk,” I said.

            “Of course,” She nodded.

            “Do not let her out of your sight! She’ll get up and walk away and we’ll most likely find her in a week,” I winked, “But seriously, don’t leave her alone.”

            I returned to the party. Emily handed me a glass and we both sat down.

            “Maggie?” Emily asked casually.

            “She’s sleeping off the alcohol,” I said.

            “I’ll tell Mrs. Harrisford,” Emily said with a sigh and set her drink down.

            “Are you going to make me beg for a dance?” Prince Evan walked up to me.

            “Oh sorry; I had to deal with my friend,” I smiled and grabbed his hand.