Chapter Fifteen

I sat next to my father and Emily. My mother had her gaze fixed on the oncoming dinner. It was a decadently dressed turkey and salads for everyone. I had my glass of wine in front of me. I had an ornate goblet along with my family. The royal families from other kingdoms had them as well.

            I watched as the servers put food on everyone’s plate and provided us with a slice of bread. My father got and silently smiled, raising his glass. We all took a sip and took a bite of bread and proceeded with dinner.

            I took a bite of my turkey. It was nicely cooked and very moist. It was delicious with a small sip of wine to help wash it down.

            The salad was fresh and moist. I was quickly done eating the first course and I watched as everyone enjoyed their meals. I kept a keen eye for Ortho or possibly his father, though I had never seen him, except in my poisoned haze.

            Through the next two courses, I was alert and sharp, barely paying attention to my meals. I scanned over the crowd, looking for suspicious persons.

            “This dessert is flavored with the essence of several flowers from this area! It seems weird at first, but it is the most delicious thing I have ever tasted!” I gave the dessert description before everyone ate.

            The servers brought in cream cakes of many flavors and set dozen on each table. Each table sat about twenty people.

            I took about six. Cream cakes were my favorite snack ever. They were flavored with lavender and lily, but they didn’t taste like plants. They were so sweet. Wizards spelled flowers to concentrate their essence.

            I heard murmurs of approval as the guests tasted their cakes. I bit into a sweet lily one. IT tasted like sugar dancing around on my tongue. I soon finished my cakes, and refrained from getting more, as there were always leftovers.

            “Now, we will dance the night away! You are free to leave as you please, but be out before dawn!” My mother smiled and announced.

            “I propose a toast!” A voice in the crowd announced loudly. Everyone turned to a tall man with golden hair and bright eyes. He wore a pale blue suit. He seemed vaguely familiar, “To King Herman and Queen Julianna for throwing this amazing party!” Everyone clapped in agreement. I had my eyes fixed on the man in blue as he disappeared into the crowd.

            I started my way towards him but I was stopped by two hands grabbing mine s I was dragged onto the dance floor. I still had a view of his golden hair.

            I turned to face Prince Arthur. Otherwise, I would have been excited, but I was annoyed right now. That man had my answers. I had a feeling.

            “Well, forget what I said earlier,” He winked.

            “It’s hardly a problem,” I said, trying to keep a place on the mystery man as we spun around.

            “Those cream cakes were delicious! What is your secret?” He asked.

            “Oh yeah, we’ve known each other forever,” I mumbled distractedly.

            “I beg your pardon?” He asked.

            “Oh sorry, what was the question,” I asked embarrassed.

            “How you made the cream cakes,” He said slowly.

            “Oh well, it’s a secret recipe,” I said.

            “Well, secrets have the best flavors,” He said

            “Only the most heavily guarded ones have the age of perfection,” I said.

            “Oh, but of course the greatest secret must be,” He trailed off.

            “Are you alright?” I asked. I momentarily lost track of the mystery man and found him after a moment of panic.

            “Yes, sorry, I saw a very shiny mask,” He shook his head.

            “We go all out in Venus,” I said, feeling as if there were cobwebs in front of my eyes and ears. I could see fine, but there was a feeling inside of me, almost controlling.

            “I can tell,” He smiled. The song ended and I bowed and turned to leave.

            “You never told me what the greatest secret is,” He stopped me.

            “The greatest secret is true love and who holds the key to yours,” I said and tried to locate the golden-haired man.

            “Who holds your heart?” He stopped me again.

            “My country,” I answered stubbornly and escaped his grip. The cobweb feeling disappeared. I thought Prince Arthur had something to do with it, but something inside of me immediately dismissed it. I didn’t protest. I wanted to, but there was a wave of… something that made me forget about my accusation.

            “Where is he?” I muttered scanning the crowds. I spotted a head of golden hair and quickly picked my way through the crowd. I remember him wearing a gray mask accented with powder blue to match his suit.

            I spotted a bright blue gown and recognized it immediately. It was the girl from Adelia’s shop. She was sitting with a handsome man whom I recognized to be in the guard. He seemed to be high ranking from the decorations on his uniform.

            “I beg your pardon, but you look amazing tonight,” I said and she turned and blushed. She wore a blue and gold mask to match her gold sash.

            “Thank you oh so very much Your Highness,” She smiled graciously. I let the warmth of her smile cheer me up and help me calm down a little bit.

            “It was no trouble for me,” I smiled and allowed her to return to her conversation. I bumped into someone and turned to apologize and saw Terence.

            “Let’s dance,” He bowed and held out his hand.

            “Of course,” I smiled and took his hand.

            “Who was unexpected toast guy?” He whispered as we danced.

            “I don’t know! I’m trying to find him,” I said.

            “I’ll help you look after our dance,” He said as we slow danced. I felt my heart soar with ever spin and twirl. Terence was stunning tonight, but suddenly all those good feelings went away. They were replaced by feelings of warmth and joy, but not love. This was the warmth and joy of a friend’s company.

            “Split up and start looking,” He whispered and I nodded.