Phony

Izuku was scared.

He hadn't slept since he'd woken up from the hospital due to a lack of care, but even if he wanted to sleep tonight he couldn't. His eyes kept darting to the window, a part of him wondering if those things would find him. After a while he got up and closed the blinds, but not even a minute later he opened them back up.

The creatures were all he could think of for the rest of the night. He was riddled with anxiety. It wasn't the fact that they could kill him, rather it was what they could do to him. Those chess pieces had to have some purpose, but what it was he didn't know. Izuku remembered his body feeling strange and his vision getting brighter, but apart from that he knew nothing.

He was so engrossed in his thoughts, he almost didn't notice that the sun had risen. He slowly got to his feet and walked towards the door, but he froze before his hand touched the doorknob.

Was everyone here a creature? Was Earth still inhabited by Humans? Or was he now the only human in the world. Izuku's hand felt weird and he looked down to see it was shaking. He quickly grabbed it with his other hand and held it still.

Hiding in this room wouldn't get him any answers, he'd need to try and pry it out of one of the Hyoudou's. But he had to be cautious, if they truly were the creatures he fought last night, they could easily tell the others what he looked like.

Taking in a deep breath, Izuku turned the doorknob and made his way downstairs. Once he made it to the kitchen, he found Issei sitting at the counter eating some Tamagoyaki. The boy quickly noticed him and smiled "Morning, Midoriya" He greeted "How did you sleep?"

Izuku shrugged, "Fine, I had a weird dream though," Izuku responded.

"What about?" Issei questioned, taking a bite of his breakfast

"I had superpowers, and I was some kind of superhero," Izuku lied. Seeing that this was the perfect time to ask the question, he took his shot. "Hyoudou, If you could have a superpower, what would you have?"

"Huh? Superpower?" Issei repeated, caught off guard by the question. He rested his chin on his hand and thought "Invisibility. That way I can sneak into the girls changing room and not get beaten up for it" He chuckled to himself.

"Mhmm" Izuku nodded absentmindedly, not even bothering to think about Issei's answer "You wouldn't want the power of flight?" He questioned hesitantly. He knew this would be the make-or-break question. If Issei was whatever those creatures were, this is how he would know. "Like with wings?"

Izuku watched as Issei shook his head "Nah, flying around would be cool, but wings? Those would just get in the way. Flying around without them would probably be cooler." He said. "It would be like those superhero movies, except unlike a lot of them, I'm only human. There isn't really anything extraordinary about me."

Izuku sighed in relief, however Issei took his sigh as disappointment, so he quickly spoke up "Also I was joking about the invisibility power. Honestly, any superpower would be cool to have, but I would like something powerful, you know?" He shrugged "What about you, what power would you want if you could have one?"

"Time travel," Izuku answered immediately.

"Oh, that would be cool," Issei nodded his head. "You got a mistake you want to fix or something?" Izuku's gaze hardened and he looked down at the counter. Issei's smile faded when the boy wouldn't answer "Hey, you okay?" He asked, unsure if he upset the boy. He didn't answer, but Issei noticed his fists clenched tightly before relaxing.

"I'm fine," He whispered.

Issei didn't buy it.

Before he could ask what was wrong, his mother walked into the kitchen "Izuku? Are you not ready?" She asked, confused on why he looked like he'd just woken up. Izuku blinked, unsure of what the woman was talking about. She noticed he looked a little lost and quickly reminded him what was happening "We have a meeting at Kuoh Academy this morning,"