Chapter 8

Attention.

Caylee

It’s been two weeks and every day goes by the same exact way. Training in the early morning, going back home and getting myself ready for the school day. 

Jojo picks me up with Zee and we make our way to school, where Jay has made it a habit to say good morning to me. And my cheeks never fail to turn some shade of pink. But the remainder of the day is smooth. 

After school, I go to Jojos with Zee to get our homework done. I join them for dinner then Jojo takes me home pretty late. Once home I shower… 

To then get abused. 

Used.

Brokened.

 I cry til I fall asleep.

 Next day it’s a redo. Same things. Different days.

~~~~~~

“Are you even listening to me Cay?” Zee screams at me. 

“Uh… I’m sorry Zee…” She sighs.  

“My birthday is this weekend and I’m having a party! Are we going shopping today or not?” I sigh, because I hate shopping for party clothes. It takes ages and somehow end up back where we started. 

“Yes, I’ll just text mom and let her know.” She rolls her eyes but continues to talk about her birthday. 

We are currently at lunch and as I talk to Zee, I feel someone staring at me. I scan the cafeteria, it's Jayden. Why has he all of a sudden given me so much attention? I shake the thoughts out of my head as the bell rang. I head to my next class, and the rest of the school day flies.

We’re on our way to the mall and you can see the excitement in Zees' face. She’s all about shopping and getting all girly and stuff. 

“So… Cay…” I look at her. 

“Can I tell you something? But, you can’t tell Jojo… Just thought someone should know, before I end up finding my mate.” I slowly nod. 

“I have a crush on Jojo…” I gasped so loud. 

“You have a what!?” I’m so shocked! 

“Yeah, but I bet he isn’t my mate… so…” She sighs. But I am still too shocked to properly say much.

“I just wanted someone to know before life changes completely.” I hug her tightly and she squeezes me. 

“Your secret is safe with me.” She smiles and I give her a smile back. 

“Ok, now let’s go dress shopping!” I giggle as we walk into the mall. We’re at the fifth store and still nothing. I am starting to get hungry and overwhelmed.

We walk around and reach another store. Once we walk in I spot this burgundy dress. It has an A-neckline, off the shoulder, spaghetti strap, hollowed out, bust waist, knee-high dress with a slight poof. I’m in love, I grab it in my size and go into the fitting room. Walking out, Zee's eyes sparkle. 

“Yes! Yes! Yes!” Her excitement is too damn funny. Now, it’s her turn. 

We looked around until we found one. A rose gold, glitter, strapless, skin-tight dress, with a slit that goes up to her mid-thigh. She goes to try it on and then comes out, my jaw drops. 

“So… is it a yes?” I start nodding my head really hard. 

“Yes!” I screamed out. We found both of us some matching shoes and head to go pay. 

We head to the food court since we are both so hungry. But then on our way there some guy bumps me. 

“I’m so-” I tried to say but before I could even apologize, I’m being pushed down to the ground. 

And the tears began to come down, I huddled expecting another hit. Instead, I hear a loud thud and a groan. Too afraid to look up, I stay where I am… 

“Come on Cay, let’s get out of here…” You can hear the concern in her voice. 

But, I couldn’t get up, it was as if I was cemented to the ground. And I find myself crying even more… How embarrassing. Next thing I know, I’m being picked up.

“It’s ok Caylee, I’ve got you.” I froze, it’s Jayden.