Chapter 80: Reminiscence

Kieran slammed the car door and blew out a breath to cool his raging insides. How did Naomi expect him totake it when she looked at him like that and said things like "you're annoyingly lovable"? No one had called him lovable before and that spark in her eyes was too dang cute to ignore.

Those were reasons why he should have kept his distance.

But he hadn't. That was the problem.

Naomi deserved better than he could give her, but for some reason Kieran just couldn't stick to his plan to push her away. Nor did she seem to believe his harsh words anymore.

Fine. So be it. It had come to this, so Kieran would roll with it. And by roll with it, he meant that he would look into what had really happened.

To do that, he would need to break a few of his own rules.

"Tell her I want to meet." Kieran shot the command at Donovan like a bullet out of a silencer.

Donovan shot Kieran a look of disbelief. "You... what?"

"Now."

There was no time to hold grudges or cling to pride. Whoever orchestrated the robbery had crossed a line. Naomi had been dragged into this whole mess that Kieran called a life, and he was going to fix it no matter what it took.

"Don't you want to go home first?" Donovan asked, clearly confused.

Kieran shook his head. "Call her."

"Okay..." Donovan retrieved his phone and dialed the number at the top of his most recent contacts list.

Kieran didn't need to hear the other end of the conversation. He just needed Donovan to do his job.

"He says he wants to meet," Donovan said without a hello or any other kind of greeting. "Yes, ma'am. Mm-hm. We'll see you then."

Donovan's phone clacked against the cup-holder in which he set it down. "She said to bring you to the house."

At this time of the night, it made sense. Outside places had all closed and the house would be best for a confidential rendezvous anyway. Though it pained him to agree, Kieran gave his consent in the form of a nod.

One day, he would have to face all this. He hadn't expected it to be so soon.

Knowing better than to question Kieran or try to make small talk, Donovan remained silent as he maneuvered the vehicle through late-night highway traffic. To the other side of the city. Down a road behind a private gate, lined by shadowy trees. He stopped the car under a portico, in front of an entrance so grand it might have belonged to a palace.

A butler came scurrying to open the passenger side door.

Kieran took a breath, steeled his nerves, and stepped out onto the pavement.

That magnificent entrance opened, double-doors pulled by dual guards. A woman sailed down the hallway inside, crossing into the night air as quietly as the breeze. Even at her age, she was stunning. Long black hair hung loose around shoulders bearing a peach-colored dressing gown. Her eyes were as dark as her hair, and made no effort to hide their perusal of Kieran's person, from head to foot as if she might find an injury.

All in all, Kieran could say his looks were a mirror image of hers.

"Cathleen," he greeted.

"It's been ages," Cathleen breathed, her fingers rising as if they wanted to touch. Instead, she turned her face up toward Kieran's. "How I've missed you."

"I'm not here to reminisce."

Cathleen folded her hands before her, her lips tightening into a thin, grim line. "I think I know why you've finally come home. Come in and we'll chat."

A moment of hesitation was not lost on Kieran, but he dared not say anything about it as Cathleen turned and retreated back into the mansion.

Kieran followed, though he hated every step. He hadn't been through those doors in a decade. He had thought that he would never return. That had been the plan, anyway.

Cathleen led him into a sitting room just off the main hall. "Have a seat. Vera is making tea for us."

"I don't need tea," Kieran muttered.

Cathleen clucked her tongue at him. "I'm being hospitable."

"I don't need your hospitality, either. I just need you to answer some questions."

"About Patrick?" Cathleen sank onto a plush chair. "I'm afraid I might only be able to tell you what I've told Donovan."

"Don't be coy, mom." Kieran used the term on purpose, because it would lower any defenses she had put up. Cathleen was not the type of person to trust easily, but for her son she would do just about anything.

Cathleen's lips rose in a smile. "You've learned a thing or two about knowing your opponent."

Kieran settled into a chair of his own. "I still have no plans to return, so don't get your hopes up."

"Though it would be nice, I won't force you to return." Cathleen settled her arms on the arms of the chair. "I've long since learned my lesson when it comes to my son."

"Then why do you have people spying on me all the time?"

"That is for your safety." Cathleen smiled again, this time wryly. "I hear you have found a woman to fancy."

"You'd best keep your hands off of her if you want our communication to continue." The growled threat had left Kieran's lips before he could filter his words. Too late, he realized he had put his heart on his sleeve and revealed everything.

"Don't you worry. I am not Patrick." Cathleen raised a hand and beckoned. "Nor do I condone his behavior."

Vera, Cathleen's housekeeper, scuttled over, a guard close on her heels. Vera set two cups of tea on the coffee table. The guard set a folder in Cathleen's hand.

"What's that?" Kieran asked, taking his teacup in hand in an effort to control his vibrating nervous system.

"As I told Donovan, Patrick had been acting strangely. He's always after you to get to me, so I had it looked into. It appeared that he was planning something."

"Clearly." Kieran took a sip of tea. "If you're right, it was a convenience store robbery."

"As it may have involved the woman you like, I've had someone investigate the petty thieves that Patrick was using." Cathleen lifted the folder balanced on her palm. "Do you want their information, or should I handle it for you?"

Always well-informed, Cathleen. The thanks for that should go to her global connections. The Irish helped the Irish, or so Cathleen had always said. The decision she had asked him to make was a harder one.

"Let me see their information first," Kieran decided on a whim.

Cathleen set the folder on the coffee table, lifted her teacup and saucer, and sat back in her chair. "Take your time."

Kieran thumbed through the information page by page, picture by picture. He need not ask where his mother got the stills from the convenience store security cameras. It was better if he didn't know.

Both men had a long list of offenses against them, but one in particular stood out to Kieran. One of them had been arrested for sexual harassment. Twice. After that, Kieran could only see red.

"If I ask you to handle them, will I owe you anything?" Kieran had to be sure.

Cathleen swirled her tea in its cup. "Did they lay a finger on your woman?"

"She's injured," Kieran sufficed to say.

"Then no. Consider this a free pass." Cathleen took another sip of her tea. "Would you like me to take care of them?"

"I don't want to know what you do to them." Kieran rose to his feet, set his cup down, and met his mother's gaze. "As long as my hands are clean and they never come near Naomi again."

Cathleen saluted with her cup and saucer. "Consider it done."