Chapter 18 - Affairs

Melinda was very happy and proud to have a child at last upon its birth in July - she had noticed the pregnancy a little while later than it first appeared, and her child came into the world with haste - which made her unendingly eager to express that feeling to everyone. In the wake of her upcoming union with George Maguire, she visited the palace shortly after its birth, immensely grateful to have the honour of telling him the news herself. With the sun shining brightly above her head, the last days of summer leaving a mark of passion, she entered the palace, feeling invincible.

The place brimmed with life. Its halls shone with splendour, its chandeliers held many crystals that reflected the sunlight beautifully yet not blindingly, its plants blossomed eagerly and magnificently despite the meagre clay pots within which they were contained, and its people enthusiastically walked everywhere, filling up every corner with their talking.

It all mattered not, however, when compared to the man she was to endow with her pleasure. Although he lacked any particular quality that could recommend him as a person, he bore the crown of Eade, and there would be nothing better than their union.

She swiftly opened the door to his bedroom upon being faced with it, taking a moment to revel in its luxury, accentuated by the overuse of red and gold. Luxury was a mundane thing to her now, but the air was also a mundane thing to those beneath her, yet they still relished it. The lively gleam in his eyes the moment he saw her, his body spread all over the surface of his bed, told her that he had desired her visit more than anything.

"Madam Bellerose, to what do I owe the satisfaction of Your visit?" he said as she sat by his side, placing her child in her lap.

"Please call me Melinda when we are in solitude, George," she said, batting her eyelashes at him. "We are lovers. We shall soon be wed. Will you still call me Madam Bellerose then?"

"Oh," he muttered. "I am sorry. The situation is merely very confusing, that is all, trust me."

She smiled benignly at him. "I understand completely. We have not had enough time to establish our relationship all that much, especially me. I have neglected it, but that will no longer be an issue. This child that lies in my lap and whom I have named Griselda Melantha Bellerose is a great source of pride for me, so I am naturally rather eager to have another."

"Another yet?" he said, raising an eyebrow. "How eager are you to do so?"

She laughed merrily, her laughter sounding like little bells. "Do not worry, George. Although I am eager to have a child, I would never betray you. You know how faithful I am. I am so excited for our union."

"I am excited as well," he said, short of breath at this point. "So excited..."

She began kissing him on the lips passionately, as it was her duty to do so. Naturally, he savoured the intercourse of a woman as beautiful and experienced as she was, and there was nothing more captivating in the world. He was not completely unsatisfying either. After a few minutes of giving pleasure, she got up like nothing had happened at all, the way one gets up from a refreshing nap. With a few formal greetings, they parted, and she swiftly went home.

There was not much work waiting for her that day, only the delights of life. The palace and its charms were lovely, but at home lay delicacies more laced with passion - and more corrupt - making her red blood run thickly and quickly through her veins. The discreet glances of a man who was much more than a friend tantalised her with their subtle, yet still visible presence, and so she thought of them all day long. She immediately knew to reciprocate them when she saw them, crossing her legs in a chair or leaning delicately against the bark of a tree, causing him to see her as even more of a decoration than he already had.