Ch 7: What I've Been Looking For

The next morning, Troy entered his homeroom class. The first person he saw was Gabriella. He sneaked a peak at her and realized she was looking at him, too. They both smiled sheepishly and looked away as Ms. Darbus started making her announcements.

Ms. Darbus warned sternly, "Now, I expect we learned our homeroom manners yesterday, people. Correct?" Everyone nodded obediently. Serving detention with Ms. Darbus is like traveling through a desert! Literally! Ms. Darbus added, "If not, we have dressing rooms that need painting." She added, calmly, "Now, a few announcements. This morning during free period is your chance for musicale auditions both singles and pairs. I will be in the theater until noon for those bold enough to explore the wingspan of their latent creative spirit."

Behind Troy, Chad rolled his eyes at this and leaned forward towards him.

A.J. whispered, "What time is she due back on the mother ship?"

His buddies snickered. Troy smiled uncomfortably. As he sat through the rest of homeroom, he tried to focus. He kept rethinking those thoughts throughout homeroom. When Ms. Darbus released the class, everyone piled out into the hallway. Chad quickly caught up with Troy.

A.J. asked, "Hey, Troy...the whole team's hitting the gym for free period. What are you going to have us run?"

Timmy answered, "You know what? I can't make it. I've got to catch up on homework."

A.J. commented, "What! Hello, this is only the second back, dude. I'm not even behind homework yet. And I've been behind homework since pre-school."

Timmy responded, laughing, "That's hilarious. I'll catch you later."

Troy took off and melted into the crowd. Chad looked after him puzzled.

A.J. commented, "Homework? There's no way."

He followed Troy, determined to figure out this mystery. Troy has been acting funny since the first day back. Something's going on with him. And he's determined to find out what. He saw an open classroom door and quickly ducked inside. He saw Chad peer inside and started talking to a couple of students as a cover. Then someone passing in the call called out to Chad. As soon as Troy saw that his friend was distracted, he slipped out the back door of the classroom, scooted down the hall and hurried down the stairwell.

The stairwell led outside to the courtyard. As Troy darted across the open area, he suddenly saw his father walking towards him. Thinking fast, Troy hid behind a wall, and then opened the door to the automotive shop just as his father approached. He looked around but his son was nowhere in sight.

Patrick just shrugged. He went on with his business. Troy's evasive skills and fast footwork came in handy as he moved quickly around the large pieces of equipment in the auto shop. As he reached the door, the auto-shop teacher approached.

Timmy told him, quickly, "Shortcut. Late for class."

Then he ducked out the door, ran down the hall and entered the school theater from the backstage entrance. He peered out through the stage curtains and saw dozens of kids arriving, eager to try out. He spotted the cleaner's cart with a mop and bucket. He turned the mop upside down and used it as a cover as he rolled the cart down a ramp, along the side of the theater and into the shadows at the back of the auditorium.

From his safe hiding place, he watched as Ms. Darbus stepped onto the stage and began the auditions in her trademark dramatic style.

Ms. Darbus stated, "This is where the true expression of the artist is realized, where inner truth is revealed through the actor's journey where..." That's when the late bell rang. Ms. Darbus asked, upset, "WAS THAT A CELL PHONE!"