Ch 8: Stick With The Status Quo

By lunchtime, the news that Troy and Gabriella had tried out for the musical had spread throughout the school. As students entered the cafeteria, they took their usual seats. Jocks sat with jocks. Brainiacs sat with brainiacs. Drama kids sat with drama kids. Skater dudes, cheerleaders, punks...each sat with their own kind. That was the way the world was meant to be. Orderly. Predictable. Understandable.

Sharpay held court at the head of the drama kids table. Kelsi sat at the far end of the table, listening to every word, but keeping quiet, as usual. She was working on the duet for Troy and Gabriella's callback.

Veronica told them, angry, "How dare she sign up! I've already picked the colors for my dressing room!"

Remy stated, "And she hasn't asked our permission to join the Drama Club."

Sharpay slammed her hand against the cafeteria table, making everyone jump slightly. Veronica stated, "Someone's got to tell her the rules."

Remy responded, "Exactly." He paused for a second and then asked, "And what are the rules?"

Sharpay just scoffed as she walked to the railing and looked down at the scene below.

Chester: You can bet there's nothing but net
When I am in a zone and on a roll.
But I've got a confession, my own secret obsession
and it's making me lose control.
Jocks: Everybody gather 'round.

Chester stated, "Well, if Troy can tell his secret, then I can tell mine. I bake."

A.J. asked, confused, "What?"

Chester answered, "I love to bake. Strudel, scones, even apple pandowdy."

Jocks: Not another sound!

Chester added, not getting the hint, "Someday, I hope to make the perfect crème brulée."

Jock: No, no, no! No, no, no!
Stick to the stuff you know!
If you want to be cool, follow one simple rule.
Don't mess with the flow! No, no!
Stick to the status quo!

Martha Cox: Look at me and what do you see?
Intelligence beyond compare.
But inside, I am stirring, something strange is occurring.
It's a secret I need to share.
Brainiacs: Open up! Dig way down deep!

Martha admitted, "Hip hop is my passion! I love to pop and lock and jam and break!"

A brainiac questioned, "Is that even legal?"

Brainiacs: Not another peep!

Martha defended, "It's just dancing. Sometimes, I think it's even cooler than homework."

Brainiacs: No, no, no, no! No, no, no!
Stick to the stuff you know!
It's better by far to keep things as they are!
Don't mess with the flow, no, no!
Stick to the status quo!

Skater dude: Listen well. I'm ready to tell,
about a need I cannot deny!
Dude, there's no explanation for this awesome sensation.
But I'm ready to let it fly.
Skater dudes and dudettes: Speak your mind and you'll be heard!

Skater dude told them, "Alright. If Troy wants to be a singer, then I'm coming clean. I play the cello!"

Another skater said, "Awesome. What is it?" His friend mimed playing the cello, but only saw confusion in the other boarder's face. He exclaimed, "A saw!"