5

sᴇʜᴠᴇɴ ᴠᴀʀɢᴀs

"Hey, Lilly."

Stepping away, I held the phone to my ear while trying to ignore the death stare of Migi and calling from Zuri. Presently, we stood at the receptionist's desk inside Golden Xi's of Houston. A daycare center that's only five minutes away from the Psychiatric Center. Between their mailed-in brochure and parental guides plus some of the parents' online reviews — it seemed to be the perfect option.

In fact, it was the reason I revisited the idea of Zuri attending daycare, a couple of nights ago.

Getting Migi to tag along for our afternoon errands wasn't hard. Last night's festivities jaded the man's visions and ultimately, made him give in to my plan.

Can't say I'm surprised.

However, being on the phone, right now, wasn't the smartest choice. Migi knew when I said Lilly, what time it was. 

"Hey, I'm sorry to bother you. I just realized that your Team status was on away." Lillian emphasized her apologies, but we had a few minutes to spare while waiting for the center's Director and CEO to welcome us in officially.

"It's okay, something wrong?"

"Not all. Stephen ordered some new equipment for your office since you're coming back in, so I wanted your opinion on how to set up everything. Plus, there's a security checklist for your new badge and PIN codes. I was just hoping you could stop by before Friday. I wanted to have I.T. organize your electronics. Also, I put some new contracts and a past-due bill in your mailbox here."

Computer stuff, new clients, but a past due bill?

What past-due bill could I possibly have with the office?

"Sehven." Migi's voice was desperately low but still alarming. Turning I found Zuri's smiling and couldn't help but return the contagious expression. Her pacifier hanging on by her little pegs when she grinned at me. Briefly, I held up one finger, silently asking for another minute.

"Okay, I can come tomorrow or Thursday," Looking at the screen of my phone, I checked the time on the call. "I'll have my little partner in crime most likely, but I'll call you once I'm heading over."

"Oh, of course, Miss. Zuri is welcomed before you are, girl!" We shared a laugh, but I knew I had to go. "You can call me and let me know when you're on the way. The most important part is your fingerprints for the computer software and door locks, plus updating your badge."

"Yeah, I figured that much when you said security," The door to the receptionist hallway opened, and out walked the women of the hour. "I'll call you tomorrow hopefully."

"Okay, thanks! Take care, Sehven."

"You too, Lilly."

Golden Xi's was a family-owned daycare that started in New Orleans with only a mother-and-daughter duo.

With fifteen years under their belt, the duo has returned to their hometown and even branched out from the origin of a small one-bedroom apartment. Now granting employment opportunities via local grants and awards. They offered science and math programs for elementary students, after-school programs, a swimming club, and of course three different Head Start programs.

The location was precise and the fees were reasonable. From top to bottom, it was perfect — so now? I just hoped Migi and I could come to some sort of final agreement for Zy's sake.

"You must be, Mrs. Varags?" The youngest of the two extended a hand as I returned. Politely I reciprocated the gesture before standing next to Migi.

"Yes, I'm Sehven, this is my husband Migi, and our daughter Zuri."