8

sᴇʜᴠᴇɴ ᴠᴀʀɢᴀs

Unintentionally, I grinned for the hundredth time while watching Monica devour the plate from last night's dinner.

It was Sunday night and I had cooked a pretty traditional dinner. Migi had encouraged the decision and so, Sunday at ten AM, I loaded Zuri into her car seat inside his Escalade, before heading to the North of Houston to start checking off the list.

Currently, Monica was chewing the last of her oxtail pieces. Checking the bones for any possible remainders.

"I would've packed you two plates if I knew they were starving you in here, lady." Monica cut her eyes at me before picking up the napkin. Wiping her hands and mouth when finally that laugh crept out.

"Girl, the best thing I've had in here was your cooking or the cheesecakes I make," She spoke distastefully. "And I gave you the last piece of that truffle butter one. Now, it's time to bake again, I guess."

Internally, I cringed knowing that Erin had tossed over half of that slice away. Seconds later, guilt surged through my body, but that didn't last long. She'll be okay.

"Well, I'll remember for next time."

"Erin still don't wanna come see me?" Monica switched gears then, sitting back to untwist the cap on her specially requested cold Coca-Cola.

"Nope..."

"Damn," A bitter laugh left her before Mo shrugged it off. Sitting back to finish up the corner of basmati rice left on her plate. "My child won't come to see me and you won't bring my grandbaby,"

Scoffing, the straw of my custom tumbler went to my lips and I took a sip of the strawberry and pineapple-infused water inside.

"I've never seen my grandchild in real life, Sehven. The videos and pictures are cute, but c'mon, girl."

"Well, excuse me? You must want me to get cussed out. Migi would be pissed if I brought Zy here."

"Who gives a damn? That's your child too, Alyssa."

Shaking my head, I dismissed her words without second-guessing myself. Nobody, besides me, appeared to be in Monica's corner. Her completing the drug addiction therapy and voluntarily finding shelter through a halfway program — wasn't sufficient enough.

It's been a year and a half since Monica has been clean. However, during her last year of using, she burnt a lot of bridges.

"Monica, let it go," Besides, that's not why I'm here. It's been over a week since the meeting at Golden Xi's and Patricia has reached out for the third time in regards to Zuri's acceptance into their Early Head Start program.

Leaving there, I had a good feeling that she and Simone would admit Zuri, but I still had questions. One that stuck out like a sore thumb and another that immediately followed up.

Was it a coincidence that Monica and Patricia both relocated to the same city? And was it around the same time?

"Besides, that's not why I came today."

"Well excuse me. I thought you stopped by to spend time with ya' mama. Crazy me, huh?" I disregarded the sarcasm in Monica's voice for the time being.

"How well do you remember Patricia Piper?"

The fork going to her mouth stalled for a few seconds before Monica shrugged. A few silent beats went by and just like magic, she wiped off the dazed expression from hearing that name. Now done with her plate of food, which was profitable because I needed Monica's attention.