19

sᴇʜᴠᴇɴ ᴠᴀʀɢᴀs

"Stop fucking crying and listening. Damn, girl,"

My breathing hitched at the silent threat of her sharp chef's knife sinking deeper into my skin.

Monica grinned as I swallowed the lump in my throat. It wasn't like I could get away with arms of steel bonding me to her.

"Listen."

"I can't" — is what I wanted to tell my mother, but scared of the repercussions — my body planted itself in position.

"It's a lot of shit your wife doesn't know about you, huh?" Richard smirked as he posed the question to an unanimated Migi. It felt like he had turned into a statue.

Richard was a decent height, but Migi had leverage which added to his intense and intimidating stance. That famous Glock pick resting by his side.

Frowning slightly, tears rolled down my face. Is that what she wanted me to hear?

There can't be any other secrets left for Migi to reveal.

Just then, his eyes finally traveled over to me when the thought formed. From there, Migi mugged Monica, shaking his head out of pure disgust.

God, what's happening?

"The shit I don't tell Sehven 'bout, is to protect her and she knows that—you know that, right, mama? You know that I ain't neva' tryin' to hurt you."

"Oh, what does that make you, Vargas? Her knight in shining armor?"

"I ain't her crackhead ass mammy. Unlike you, bum ass bitch."

The role switched and now it was Migi and Monica. His guard was completely down regarding Richard. Just when I expected my father to retaliate or sneak one — Ricky began to fade. Our eyes connected briefly before his being vanished before my eyes.

This wasn't a Richard issue — and that was plain and simple.

"But yo' bum ass mammy was the same way though."

"I should've killed yo' ass when I had the chance ."

My eyes popped open as Migi sent headshots over my shoulder. My consciousness began to strengthen at the aggressive clapping in my ears. Quickly my reflexes kicked in, along with my sense of relief and recollection of where I was.

What the actual fuck?

"Baby?" Migi's raspy voice broke in, while his hand on my waist tightened.

"I'm okay." I think.

Gently, I lifted his arm from my body, crawling from between him and Zuri. She and I were pulled to the center of the bed at some point. Migi is directly behind me and pillows are on the other side of Zy. Her fist gripped my shirt momentarily until finally, she felt like releasing me.

Closing the bathroom door, I hit the spotlights and turned on the shower. My body was in a frenzy and I wasn't sure if the dream was truly emotional or if my imbalanced hormones were kicking.

Stripping from the two articles of clothing, I grabbed a rag and towel for the wake-up call.

There were too many emotions to process and scarily, the piercing of the knife's blade didn't vanish with consciousness. It took silent moments of breathing, praying, and crying, to get my emotional state balanced.