Hunger Games: Lilac Mellark

A girl is known by all, all because of her mother: Katniss everdeen, the survivor of the 74th hunger games along with her father Peeta Mellark. But when she is chosen to go to the games, it isn't that surprising, knowing that the names are rigged. Lilac goes on a great adventure of life, love, and choices that could end her own life....... This is my first book, I hope you like it and please if I make any mistakes don't make hasty comments. Hope you enjoy!!!

Chapter 1

I pulled back the bow, and aimed at the small apple hanging on our tree in the backyard. I lined it up, staring at the tip of the arrow to make sure it's all aligned.

"Go." My mother says, her arms crossed with a hard but determined look on her face.

I let the arrow fly, breathing out as I did. The arrow went straight through the small red apple, falling to the ground with a thud.

My mother just nodded, and walked away, satisfied. I watched as she rounded the corner, and didn't look away for a while.

I walked slowly to the apple, the dead leaves cracking below my feet. I picked it up, and studied the gash the arrow left behind, a small hole going completely through. I looked on through the small wood, and see the neon colored end of the arrow.

As I walk back to the house, I see the end of the Victors village, going into the small urban life of District 12. I see two small kids running about, probably playing tag. Their screams and laughter fill the noiseless void. I can't help but smile in spite of myself.

When I walk in, Hevry is sitting at the island in the kitchen eating a piece of my dads homemade bread.

He eyes me as I enter, and I also grab a piece, munching on the crust my favorite part.

"How was training?" He asks, his mouth full. I just shrug and scarf down the rest of the delicious bread.

"I hit an apple at least 40 yards away, nothing big." I say, cutting my sentence short as my father walks in carrying a vase of Lilacs.

It reminds me how I got my name, similar to how my mom got hers. When I was born, there was a vase of lilacs on the windowsill, filling the room with the sweet scent. Once my mother laid her eyes on the flower, she knew the name right away, also my shiny golden hair and purplish eyes helped in the process.

My father set them down on the windowsill, opening it and letting the cool air rush in.

He then walked over and began to run a hand through my brothers hair. Hevry laughed and grabbed his hand, dodging my fathers hand as he tries to touch his head again.

I smile, but don't feel happy, at all. Right now there's no reason to be when the reaping is tomorrow. The reaping is when each district chooses on boy and one girl from the ages 12 through 18 to go to the Hunger Games. This year is the 90th annual hunger games. And I am terrified.

As my father and brother laugh, I feel as though I have to, so I force a chuckle and throw a crumb at my father.

Chapter 2

I lie awake in my bed, my mind a foggy mess of thoughts. I am scared of what tomorrow may bring, what if I'm chosen? What if I actually go into the Hunger Games? But I am lucky, my mother and father don't just train me for nothing, they knew something like this would happen. They say the names are rigged and that my brother and I will be chosen, or at least one of us will be.

It reminds me of my aunt Prim, who only had her name in there once, but still somehow got chosen. So my mother took her place, she may be famous, but she is NOT safe.

I hear my door creak open and shut softly. I sit up to find my brother Hevry standing in the darkness.

"You have a nightmare?" I ask in a whispered tone.