Chapter 23

The foundation below me stopped in a shudder, a salty breeze blew softly across my face. My shoes began to feel wet, and when I looked down the water rose and fell over my feet. There was an ocean surrounding us, and in the middle if us lay the cornucopia, water surrounding it. Past it was the shore, which had a small deserted town.

I glanced around the line of tributes, and landed on Keene, whose eyes were full of fear. FWhy is he scared? Then it hit me, he can't swim.

I smiled, big and wholesome. I looked over at the district 7 people, who will have an easy time swimming. I learned in a pond outside of my district. My mother taught me and I had quite fun with her and Hevry and Father....

I shook my head and focused on what lay in front of me. I couldn't exactly see what the cornucopia had on it, but I could faintly see....guns. Out of all things, why guns? I thought they wanted us to fight, not get it done quickly. I have a plan though, but I have to get there fast for it to work.

The countdown had just begun, 30 seconds lay on the clock. I got in my diving stance, I decided to lose my jacket, for it weighed too much and would slow me down. Besides, it was already at least ninety degrees. But that doesn't mean it can't get colder.

19, 18, 17. We're getting closer. My muscles are now tenser than ever, ready to bolt off of the foundation right when the horn blows. I look over at the district 7 tributes, ill have a hard time beating them since their lives revolve around water.

10, 9, 8. Really close now. I take a deep breath. 4, 3, 2, 1. BEEEEP. I take a huge leap into the water and swim for my life. The waves are high and the rip tides are making it hard to reach the cornucopia. I grunt in frustration, and keep at it. I see only one on my right and two in front of me. The two 7 tributes are in the lead and the girl from 1 is on my right. I have to beat her. The two from seven finally make it to the cornucopia, and grab their weapons. Surprisingly they don't grab the guns, instead the spears and tridents. They also grab a few bags and head for shore.

I struggle to push pass the tides and so does the girl from 1. But finally I make it, beating her but not for long. I first grab the guns but see the ammunition laying on one of the boxes. I hurriedly grab it and throw it into the water. I then grab the bow and arrows along with two bags and dive in. But before I do so, I glance back to see all of them struggling to push past the roaring waters. Keene is still on his foundation.

I laugh then hop in, making my way to shore.

Once I make it I veer off to the lefr, knowing the two from 7 are waiting for an ambush. I sprint off and find a small building I can hide out in.

Then it hits me. Inna.

I gasp, knowing that she is still out in the water trying to make it, but once she does an ambush will be waiting. I grab only my bow and arrows and make my way outside. I may be risking my life but it's for a good cause.

I make it back to shore and see her just coming out of the water empty handed.

"INNA!!" I scream, she sees me then comes in my direction. "HURRY!" I say. She is pounding her arms, her poofy, hair bouncing up and down. The rest of the tributes go straight into the ambush, and a big fight rings out. A bloodbath making itself shown.

Inna finally makes it to me and she is crying. I grab her arm and pull her with me. We sprint back to the small house that I was just at. Once were inside I shut the door and lock it, moving one of the couches in front of it. I then go to see if there is a back door, and only find a basement door.

I go around and survey the home, seeing there are no beds, no dressers, no desks, no toilets, and the sinks don't work. Probably on purpose so we don't get any luxury.

I plopped down on one of the ripped cloth chairs, my breathing heavy. "I think we're safe for now. We will need to move in a little while. Also-" Five gunshots interrupt me, five tributes dead, five out of the way.

Inna begins to cry more, until she falls asleep on the floor. I stand, and make sure all the windows are secure and have a curtain so no one can see in. After that I make my way to the chair, and plop down, already exhausted.

Sleep finally finds me.

🔹

🔹

🔹

Well the games have begun! I will post again soon, but I'm busy this week because Ill be at a basketball camp for four days so I might be able to update. But yeah! May the odds be ever in your favor!