Chapter 28

I can't move. My body lay still up right. I can't open my eyes. I don't even know if I'm breathing. Am I dead? If I am than where am i? My mother would tell me she wasn't very religious, that she didn't know what to believe in. So I was raised to have what ever belief my mind wanted.

I feel hands on my face, then something cold on my forehead. My body aches. It's burning. I'm on fire. It burns. All over is just a fire sensation. Except for my head.

My eyes finally decide to open, slowly. I see a ceiling, a wooden one. A face comes in my vision, a boy. He's bald. He looks familiar. But why?

Then it all came rushing back to me. Inna getting hurt, letting this boy go, angry at Keene, being chased by flesh eating squirrels, being in the Hunger Games...

The boy smiles when I wake up, and his lips move but nothing comes out. Why is he bald? Why do I see shapes forming out of no where? Black floating things come in and out of my vision. My head spins. I can't stay awake, my eyes won't stay open.

Black consumes me.

I awake to swaying. And I lift my head up to see that the same boy is carrying me. I didn't know he was so strong. I reach up to see if my bow is still fastened. Right where I left it.

"You aren't going to pass out this time will you?" I hear him say. I look into his eyes, a grayish color that shines. He smiles down on me.

"What happened?" I ask with a croak.

"I'll tell you when we get there."

"Where?"

"To your cave of course."

My cave? What cave? My mind feels fuzzy and I can't really remember much. I remember Inna but not a cave. Then it finally gets to me. Inna is hurt, so I put her there, then left to get game. Then squirrels attacked me. Then I fell and got knocked out.

Now I'm in the arms of the boy I saved. "What's your name?" I ask.

"Davin. I'm from district 5. I already know who you are, Lilac. Heck, who wouldn't know you?"

I shrug, "I can walk now." He sets me down gently. My legs feel wobbly at first, but then I get used to it. "You can tell me the story, I'm all ears."

He sighs. "Well, it all started when I was hiding out in a small shed beside the house after you let me go. Thanks again for that. I fell asleep but got woken up by screams. I came outside to see you running from these...mutts. One of them but your leg and you fell, and didn't get back up. They were about to rip you to shreds when I got their attention. I led them away from you, and into the wall of the arena. It electrocuted all of them except one. I stabbed it when it launched at me. I came back and got you. The tributes must have thought you were dead or they wouldn't have messed with you."

"You saved me." I said slowly. "Ah it was nothing" he said with a smirk.

I leaned over and kissed him on the cheek. He stopped walking and went still. Shocked. I laughed and the pain in my leg finally got to me. I fell to my knees and looked at the wound. It's not that bad, but it feels like something is burning my flesh. Venom.

"You okay? Those things had some kind of acid coming out of their mouths. It could have been anything." He says.

"Venom. They had venom in their saliva. I don't know if it's deadly, but it burns." I say, fear flooding through me. "How long was I out?"

"A day." He says.

"Who died since I was gone?"

"The boy from 13, and the girl from 10. Not a lot of action. I'm sure the game makers will change that. I'm from district 5 with Inna if you didn't know that."

My eyes go wide, I didn't know. Inna is still alive. "Come on!" I say and I make a run back to the cave.