Chapter 13:

Nearly three hours later Ryder still hasn't returned and it's making me sick. All five of my guards are in the room with me along with Ellie. Ellie seemed equally worried about Maxon who had ran out after Ryder and Alexander but she seemed more concerned with me as she tried to talk me into sitting down instead of pacing back and forth in front of the much locked door at the entrance to our suite.

Eventually she ended up telling me that I was close to giving my guards a heart attack and when I finally stopped to get a look at them I could see what she had meant. My stress was causing them to stress and when I stopped pacing and move back away from the door they visibly relax.

My heart is racing being separated from him. I can feel my eyes watering at the prospect that he could be lying out somewhere in pain and I'm locked in here with no way of helping him. There's a part of me that knows that if something where to happen to him I would feel it.

When Ellie leads me into the bedroom Reynolds is the only one to follow us. He even stands outside the closed door of the bathroom when Ellie pulls me in there. She forces me into the shower and she tried to joke that I smell like Ryder but it just made me worry more.

Now it's after midnight and I was alone in the bed with everyone else in the other room. Even though I didn't let Ryder get close to me in the bed I did allow him to sleep in the bed, the only physical contact we ever had was his hand in mine but even with the little contact I'm missing it.

The pain that I had first felt in my left side half an hour ago acts up again and I groan curving into it. The pain was in the same area that the cut on my stomach is but it's not the same type of pain that I felt from the earlier injury.

When I first felt the pain Ellie had to catch me from collapsing to the floor and I know they tried to hide it but I could hear my guards whispering about Ryder and our bond together. After that I let her and Reynolds help me into the bed and tried to even out my breathing to reduce the pain. Ellie had stayed with me for a little while but I asked her if I could be alone.

I didn't realise that I had fallen asleep till I feel a hand lightly pull mine lightly into there's. My eyes slowly open to see Ryder knelt down near the bed my hand gripped in both of his.

"I'm sorry I didn't mean to wake you up." he whispers.

When he moves to lie down in the bed next to me I notice the discoloration of the skin on his mid-section. Pushing my body up he tries to brush the pain off and stop me but my hands still land on his stomach around the area of the wound.

"Ryder," my voice is quiet but I know he'll hear it.

"It's ok Lottie, its healing." He says taking my hands away from the bleeding wound.

It's open and looks to be like a big bite mark across his torso but what worries me most is that there's seems to be a large chunk of his skin pulled out but it's already healing even through the many layers of skin.

"Just stay close baby and I'll be alright."

Sighing I lie back down next him. He freezes unsure of what to do when I place my head on his chest lying as close to him as I can without touching his stomach. Finally his arm comes around my waist to hold him to me.

"I was worried about you." My hand moves slowly over his shoulder and gently over the vein in his neck.

He's tense and I can feel the pain he is feeling. What I said before was wrong. I'll always be worried about him.

"I know, I felt it," he replies with a wince and I feel a stab at my heart at the action. "This is why I wanted to wait to mark you, to tell you that you were mine. I have to protect my people and the rebels can be dangerous and I don't want to leave you here waiting for me."