Chapter Five

"Oh, I've tried. You know how it is today. No one wants to get involved."

"Mother, I'm sure that you believe that there's some kind of problem, but I can't just leave my kids to go fight some nameless force in another world that I have nothing to do with."

"Nothing to do with? Well, fine. Bury your head in the sand of that precious mortal world of yours. Perhaps the Cromwell line will end with you." Aggie said in distress. "But lets just hope that Halloweentown doesn't come to an end along with it!"

Marnie and Melanie raced quietly back upstairs to their brother's room. They had to tell Dylan what they just found out.

"And then she talked about all this weird stuff that's happening in Halloweentown, like it's a real place." Marnie said to their brother.

"Then she turned our leftovers into a live chicken, standing right there in the bowl. And that's when we knew that she is a witch." Melanie told him too.

"And so is mom, and so are we because they both said so." Marnie ended things.

"What do you think?" Melanie asked their brother.

"I think it proves insanity is hereditary. I just boys are immune." Dylan said.

The siblings heard the front door shut, and ran to the window in Dylan's room to see what was going on.

They saw their grandmother walking down the road, away from the house. The strangest thing was, her bag was following after her all on it's own. It was like it was walking by itself.

"It must be one of those radio-controlled models." Dylan tried to justify.

"She's leaving." Marnie said.

"She's going back to Halloweentown!" Melanie said to the other two.

"We've gotta go after her." Marnie said while her and her twin walked across the hall to their's and Sophie's room.

"Go after her? Are you both crazy?" Dylan asked.

"We have to go." The twins whispered. So as not to wake Sophie.

"If she doesn't start training us as witches tonight, we could lose our powers forever." Marnie said. Grabbing clothes for her and her twin, and them both walking into their bathroom.

"You don't really believe all this witch stuff is true, do ya?" Dylan asked.

"Dylan, haven't you ever wondered about the stuff that goes on in our house?" Marnie asked, walking back in the bathroom.

"No." Dylan said.

"Like why mom won't let us talk about, watch, or read anything that has the word magic in it?" Melanie asked this time. Popping her head out of the door.

"Haven't you ever wondered why we pretend that Halloween, doesn't exist?" Marnie asked.

"Or why we have deja vu all the time, or why stuff falls off the shelves whenever Sophie has a tantrum?" Melanie took her turn as she and Marnie left the bathroom. Both twins now fully dressed.

"No." Dylan said again.

"Well, we have." Marnie said. "And now that we've found out the truth, we're not gonna stay here and turn all boring and human like you."

Both girls were wearing the cloaks there grandma gave them earlier on top of their clothes, as they left the room. Marnie putting her hair up into a ponytail, and Melanie leaving her's down.

The twins snuck down the stairs, and past their mother as the crept out the door. After they got out, Dylan called out to them and ran to catch up.

"Marnie, Melanie, wait up!"

"What are you doing here?" Marnie asked.

"I'm the man of the house. I gotta keep an eye on you two. Plus, I'm gonna have a hard time getting back to sleep till I found out if you're both crazy or not." He said as all three of them walked down the street.

"Then help us find her. She's gotta be around here somewhere." Marnie said, as Melanie looked around them all.

"There she is!" The ginger whispered. Pulling both her siblings down, so they were crouching on the ground.

"Where did that bus stop come from?" Marnie asked as she read the sign beside their grandmother.

"I don't know, can I put my shoe on now?" Dylan asked his sisters.

"I'm having that deja vu feeling again." Melanie said.

"You knew I was gonna put on my shoe?" Dylan asked her.

"No!" Melanie said back.

"Me too. About this whole thing. The bus stop, grandma...wait! Maybe it's not deja vu at all. Maybe we're seeing the future." Marnie told the other two.

"Right, now you can see the future. Tell me, what am I gonna have for breakfast?" Dylan asked skeptically.

"Why are you such a downer?" Marnie asked him.

"Why are you such a nut case?" He asked her back.

As the two went back and forth, Melanie heard the ringing of an oncoming bus bell. She tapped the other two to get them to shut up, then pointed over to their grandma. Who just so happens to be preparing to board a bus.

"Where'd that bus come from?" Dylan asked.

"I don't know." Marnie said with a smile.

"But we're not missing it." Melanie said, grabbing her twin's arm and running over to the bus. Dylan behind them.

They climbed onto the bus through the back door, and squeezed into one of the back seats together. One where they had a good view of their grandmother.

"Why don't we go sit with grandma?" Dylan asked his sisters.

"No." Marnie said to him.

"Not yet. We don't wanna take a chance of her stopping the bus and sending us home." Melanie said, as she got comfortable in her seat.

"Stopping the bus where?" Dylan asked as the bus took off.

All you could see out any of the bus windows was different colored fog. Monsters all around the three of them were talking about things in the mortal world, and the siblings looked on in shock and awe.

"Must be one of those charter buses. Coming back from a costume party at the Moose lodge." Dylan said. Clearly he was in denial. Though he might rebound that by claiming it to be a river in Egypt.

The bus took off even faster, and Dylan and Marnie began to scream in fright and shock. Melanie wasn't either of those, as she was comfy and almost falling asleep on her seat.