Chapter 53: No Such Thing as True Peace

Naruto's new house was cooler than he first thought after he was introduced to the room that was actually carved into the mountain his house sat on the side of. It was large enough to serve an active purpose, such as a dojo of sorts for training, though it had served as Hamako's workshop prior to Naruto's return. Luckily she was neat enough with her research that there was plenty of space left for Naruto to train, not that he needed all that room anyway for what he was doing.

Mostly because all he seemed to be doing was swinging his sword repeatedly at air as if he were waging an invisible war with the ghosts haunting his house.

"I love watching you revert back to your old crazy sealed self as much as anyone..." Jiraiya commented dryly from the sidelines as he watched Naruto continue swinging his sword with his Sharingan active, "...But you've been doing this for two hours and other than looking moderately insane I don't think you've gained much from it. What are you doing?"

"The same thing I was trying to do while we were training with the toads." Naruto informed Jiraiya as he kept swinging away, "I'm trying to see the fucking rip in time/space that's supposed to happen when I swing this sword but nothing works. I even used the Sharingan in Sage Mode and I've got nothing out of it."

"Are you sure you didn't misread what you found on that tablet?" Jiraiya asked, only to get Naruto to stop swinging his sword and turn his head towards his sensei mechanically to give him the dullest stare he could possibly muster, "What's with that look?"

"Even if I did misread it..." Naruto said slowly and deliberately to accentuate the fact that his clone most certainly did not misread a thing, "The tablet is right here in Konoha. I can go back and look it over whenever I want to. And that damn tablet said that this sword cuts through space/time with every swing whether I try or not. It hasn't done anything cool without me trying to do something cool since the day I picked it up so obviously just cutting the tear in space/time doesn't do anything and I can't channel my wind chakra into it. Maybe if I see it I can do something with it?"

Jiraiya raised an eyebrow, "You mean you don't know?"

Shaking his head, Naruto sheathed the sword, "The tablet wasn't very plentiful with details on the sword other than the fact that it had Madara Uchiha's chakra trapped in it to give it the weird abilities that it has, more like the chakra bends the sword's potential towards the conditions of the user, but that's just the released form. I can't just will myself to notice tears in space and time. When I stab and cut stuff with this thing nothing special happens."

"Other than the dismemberment and impalement of course." Jiraiya chimed in wryly.

"Of course." Naruto said with a shrug of the shoulders, "It's a sword Ero-kyofu, not a hickory stick... though I'm pretty sure if I hit someone with one of those it would hurt too." Naruto looked around at the room that looked like a very well and even cave with pillars and low lights in the ceiling giving the place a dingy feel, "This house just keeps getting cooler and cooler. This room makes me feel like I'm in basic training all over again, just without the feeling of getting beaten up by someone way stronger than you."

A deadpan look came across Jiraiya's face, "Yeah you would wouldn't you?"

"Don't make me kick your ass all over the cave just like I did after my training was finished. You don't have Fukasaku-jiji or Shima-baa to cover your backside this time." Naruto threatened lightly. Both he and Jiraiya smirked at the possible challenge and the one-armed sage even looked like he was prepared for combat before both of them frowned and Naruto's trick contact lens hid his Sharingan from view once more, "Nah, we probably shouldn't... I'm not sure how much punishment this room can take. I know it's sturdy as hell, but there's got to be a limit."