Chapter 18 - When It All Falls Down

Aniya Skywalker

All this is doing is wearing us out, and we can't have that right now. I reach deeper into the Dark Side, letting the strength of the nexus flow through me as I fight off our attackers. With us, and the clones, we still have an advantage, but I'm sure there's still more.

But somehow, through it all, I can feel Plagueis' presence everywhere, as though it's permeating everything. Probably because it is. He's controlling everyone here, after all. It's sickening. (And terrifying.)

The Sith seem to have little qualms about cutting through everyone attacking us, but it's not like we have much other choice right now. I swing my blade up to block those of the several people going at me, fighting in unison alongside Obi-Wan.

It feels like the Dark Side is pressing even more strongly against me now somehow, and it's a sharp reminder that it's Plagueis we need to be going after. It's him I need to focus on. Maybe I can leave the others to handle the remaining mind-controlled minions. For all we know, they might never end.

I take down the one I'm fighting, turning to face the throne again. Plagueis is still watching, looking so satisfied, and all I can think of suddenly is how it's time to end this. Maybe I'm being irrational by attacking him now, but waiting won't help.

I start for the throne, holding my lightsaber ready in front of me, noting only now that I'm closer how much the smotheringness of the Dark Side is increasing.

"Wait," Sidious warns, but the warning comes too late.

I'm only a few paces away from the throne when it surges around me. It's pressing against my mind, slithering through my mental shields, and I can't make it stop. It's been doing that all along, actually, but I didn't notice until right now – when it's suddenly so much stronger.

The urge to hurt and destroy is burning through me, so strongly I can't stop it. Except it's suddenly not Plagueis I want to attack. It's – it's everyone else. They're the real threats, and I don't understand why or how, but they need to be stopped. (This is wrong it doesn't make sense. This isn't me.)

I spin around, lightsaber in hand, to face the others.

Obi-Wan takes a visible step back, shock written all over his face. He knows what's happening, doesn't he? But it doesn't matter. I don't think about that. Instead, I just lunge at him. I'm used to it – to the knowledge that people need to be stopped and put down because it's for the greater good, and I react practically instinctively when I know that.

"Aniya, snap out of it!" Obi-Wan yells, raising his lightsaber to parry my blow.

I can't, though. He needs to be stopped. (I need to find Anakin, I know he can help me, but I don't know how.)

My blade clashes against his again and again on repeat, and it's like – like the last time I fought him, knowing this was the only way. If he's going to destroy the Sith Master, the plan in the making for so long, I have to stop it.

"General?" Appo asks, warily, "What are you doing?" I lash out, throwing him across the room in response.

It's right then that the door to the throne room slides open again, Alema, Jinx, and the rest of her group racing inside. They all skid to a stop, taking in the scene. Anakin, Ahsoka, and their group are close behind, finally, but something keeps me from instinctively turning to my twin like I always used to.

"What's happening?" Alema asks, voice rising.

Obi-Wan shoves me back, but I lunge for him again, nearly taking his head off. "She's being controlled," he calls, backing away from me.