Chapter 20 Angels And Demons

I ascended the grand staircase with a clenched jaw. I could almost cut the tension in the air with a knife, and I wasn't even in my father's office yet.

There was a deadly silence that fell over the palace, no one knew of our rescue mission just yet.

Good. I still have time to sneak him out of here.

I approached the office door with heart in my throat as I lifted my fist to knock on the solid wooden door.

"What is it this time?" My father's voice hissed out from the other side of the room.

I honestly had no idea why I was even doing this. I just needed my father to believe that I had been sitting in my room while Jack was down below the castle this whole time.

"I just wanted to see if you needed any help with your work." I stepped into the cold room with a blank expression.

My father glanced up from his paperwork for a fraction of a second. "And what makes you think I can't handle this on my own?"

I fought back the anger bubbling within me.

Stay calm Marshall.

"I know you're more than capable of that father." I hissed out the last word. That term left me with everything but warm and fuzzy feelings.

"But as your son, it's necessary for me to learn everything you have to teach me so that I can properly take my place on the throne when it's my turn."

"Well. I'm surprised to see you're taking an interest in the family business." He scoffed at me, but beckoned me closer none the less. "Come. I'll teach you how to record the soul categories."

* * * *

"So as you can see there are three categories that branch out from the main category which is all the souls that have been collected. The three branches are where the souls have been sentenced: heaven, hell, or purgatory. Understand?"

I nodded. "Doesn't seem too hard."

"It's not. Just as long as you stay focused and place the names in their proper place." My father placed his pen down and stood up with a groan as he rolled his shoulders.

I took that as a sign to leave, so I nodded at my father and turned on my heel to leave.

"Marshall. Just a moment."

I turned to see my father gesture towards his desk. "I didn't finish this month's list. Since you caught on so quickly, you could start where I left off... unless you have more pressing matters to attend to?"

I desperately wanted to return to Alice's room to check on Jack. But the look on my father's face told me that I had no choice but to stay. I didn't want him to become suspicious.

"No. I'd be honored." I received a pat on the shoulder as we passed each other and I took a seat in his red arm chair.

"Good. I'll be back in an hour to check up on your progress."

With that my father left without another word, leaving me in silence in his giant office.

Well... this should be fun.

* * * *

"Serena Conway... heaven. Matthew Williams... haha! Hell. Sucks for you. Let's see... hell, hell, heaven, heaven, heaven... yikes. Purgatory. Wouldn't wanna be you Joshua Fallon."

I continued to record names under their souls destination just as my father had shown me, but I was growing restless. This was painfully boring work, and my mind kept wandering towards Jack.

I wonder what he's doing right now...

Just as my mind started to wander off, a small red leather bound book caught my eye. I pulled it out from the pile of papers that it had been stashed under and opened the first page.

"Special Destinations?" I furrowed my brow as I flipped through the pages. Realization hit me as I read over Alice's name.

This is a book recording the souls of those who qualified to become angels and demons!

Curiosity took over as I skimmed through the list of demons. I passed my name, my father's, and my mother's as well.

Wait. My mother's?

I turned back and read over her name ten more times. It was her name.

But this was a list of demons still living...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yes you hate me because I left you off with a cliff hanger. I coukdnt help myself!