Chapter 13: Silent Prayer

"But when the Insecticons suddenly backed off, I got inspired by my proximity to the power core and did what I do best."

Bulkhead smashed his fists together as Wheeljack whistled out in approval, tossing an inert grenade in the air as Bulkhead finished his story of escaping the Decepticon warship. I'd chosen to remain silent for now, still processing everything that had happened just a few kliks ago. The lost look in that blue optic was burned into my mind.

"Bulkhead, did you manage to find any trace of Miko while aboard the Nemesis?"

"I wish I had, but I couldn't find her. And it wasn't like I had the run of the place; it was still swarming with Decepticons."

"But now thanks to your efforts, the Nemesis is grounded for the time being. We have been presented with an opportunity to stage our rescue operation in full force."

"Optimus, Megatron's warship may be grounded, but we are still vastly outnumbered, especially since he has added the Insecticon hive to his ranks."

"Your worries are well founded, old friend. But this is one mission we cannot afford to pass up. The fate of our companion grows more dire the longer we wait." 

We all bowed our heads at the reminder of what was truly at stake. After the death of Cliffjumper, I'd cut myself off from nearly all emotion, and spitefully resigned myself to protecting humanity. Now, a human that I wasn't afraid to admit had grown on me, was in deep trouble. And we'd essentially been doing scrap all to free her. This was a mission we couldn't afford to fail. 

{"Arcee, everything okay? You look a bit wound up there."}

The team was staring at me now, their gaze soft and filled with concern, yet all I could see was judgement. I wonder if this is how Miko felt around us leading up to her being captured. It wasn't a nice feeling, but I couldn't suffer in silence any longer.

"I'm, still trying to process everything that just happened. I mean, Airachnid, my most hated enemy, is dead. I watched as the Predacon ripped her in half. And then . . . and then I saw something . . . I don't know, unimaginable."

By now Optimus was crouched in front of me, subtly ushering the rest of the team away to give me space. Taking my servos in his own massive ones, the Prime looked down on me with a tenderness I'd never guess he could muster up had I not known him for so long.

"You engaged in combat with the Predacon, but by the time we arrived, Eclipse was retreating."

{"Not to mention how distraught you sounded. I haven't heard you that upset since . . . well, you know."}

"Since Tailgate. Yeah, I know."

"Arcee, what did you learn that has you so perturbed?"

"When we were fighting, I managed to break off a piece of Eclipse's mask. Only, when she turned to face me again, instead of a red Decepticon optic or an orange Predacon optic like I expected, her exposed optic was blue."

"What?! You mean to tell us that 'Scales' believes she's an Autobot? Yeah, and I'm Ultra Magnus."

"Jackie!"

The two Wreckers argued back and forth for a bit while the rest of the team just watched. Eventually the two wore each other out, leaning on one another for support. I turned my attention to Jack, Raf, June, and Fowler. Surprisingly, June spoke up first. 

"You have to get Miko back, no matter what. Understand?"

"She'll be safe soon June. You can count on it."

"The government is also aware of Miko's situation, and General Bryce has given Team Prime full authorization to proceed with any rescue efforts possible."