Chapter 9

I remained in bed for the better part of the day, the heavy weight of disappointment holding me down.

I didn't want to face the world or the reality of my situation. It wasn't until evening that I mustered the strength to sit up and glance at my phone, which lay abandoned on the bedside table.

Ashley had left several missed calls and messages. She had been trying to reach me throughout the day, and I felt a pang of guilt for not responding. My friend was always there for me, and I should have let her know what I was going through.

Just as I was contemplating returning Ashley's call, there was a knock on my door. Ashley's voice called out from the other side, filled with both concern and determination, "Liv, it's me. Open up."

I quickly wiped away the remaining traces of tears from my eyes and made my way to the door. Ashley walked in, her expression a mix of relief and worry.

"Liv, I've been trying to get in touch with you all day," she said, her voice tinged with concern. "I didn't get any response from your phone, and I was really worried. What's going on?"

I finally confessed, "Ashley, I didn't get the job. They called last night, and I was devastated. I haven't been able to bring myself to do anything all day."

Ashley wrapped her arms around me in a comforting hug. "I'm so sorry to hear that, Liv. But we're going to get through this together," she reassured me. "You're not alone in this."

As the evening turned into night, Ashley made it her mission to lift my spirits. She knew I was facing not only disappointment but also the daunting prospect of unpaid bills. With determination, she convinced me to step out of my apartment, even if just for a little while, to clear my mind.

We took a walk through the city, and Ashley shared stories of her own past setbacks and how she had overcome them. She assured me that we'd find a way to tackle the financial hurdles together, emphasizing that friends support each other through both good and bad times.

The weight on my chest didn't disappear entirely, but with Ashley's unwavering friendship, it became a little easier to bear. We faced the uncertain road ahead together, knowing that even in my darkest moments, I had someone by my side who cared deeply about my well-being. But even then I was still sad.

"It's the curse Ash, it won't leave me alone"

"Stop that nonsense, you're not cursed, you're just going through a rough time in your life right now. You'll soon see the light, trust me."

"Yeah I'll see the light alright, when I'm dead"

"Olivia!"

"What?, you say I'm just going through a rough time in my life right now, well guess what I've been going through it since I came out of the womb and I don't know how much more of this I can take. "

Ashley immediately stopped walking which caused me to stop too. "Look at me, I'm here and I'm not going anywhere I know it might be  hard right now but I'm right here, you hear me?"

Nodding I took a deep breath listening to the birds chirping and the gentle wisper of the wind, I  felt it softly touch my skin and comb through hair as if trying to soothe me "Okay"

"Yeah?"

"Yeah"

We were sitting on a bench in the square park when I saw someone waving and coming in our direction.

"Do you know her?", Ashley asked.

Squinting my eyes to get a better look at the person as they came closer I realized that it was Sofia.

"Yeah that's Sofia"

"Who's Sofia?"

"A girl I met some time ago, we actually hang out last night"

Ashley looked back at Sofia who had now reached the bench we were now sitting at "Hey Liv, I was taking a walk when I saw you"

Looking up at her I smiled and turned towards Ashley "Ashley this is Sofia, Sofia this is my sister from another mother Ashley."

"Hi, Ashley it's nice to meet you"

"Likewise"

"Can I join you guys?"

I looked at Ash and she nodded "Yeah, yeah, have a seat"

Sitting down beside me Sofia looked at me and said "Why do you look like that is something wrong?"

"How do I look?"

"Sad"

"Oh",  I said looking down.

"I didn't get the job", I said trying not to cry. Ash must of noticed because she started rubbing my arm soothingly.

"What!, I can't believe those assholes. I'm so sorry to hear that Liv I'm sure you deserved it. "

Nodding I started playing with my fingers.

"What are you going to do now?"

"I don't know"

Sofia didn't answer as she was lost in thought.

"How about we go out and try to forget everything for now?"

Before I could answer Ashley spoke for me "I don't think that's a good idea, she just wants to chill right now.

Nodding I looked at Sofia "Yeah I agree I just want to relax and try to figure out what I'm going to do.

"Come onnn", she whined. "You need this, trust me you'll feel better. Alcohol makes everything better I promise.

"I highly doubt that"

"Please come on, everything is on me I promise.

I looked at Ashley silently asking her what she thinks. "Okay, Liv if you want to, I'm up for it."

Looking back at Sofia I sighed "Fine, but we're not doing anything crazy".

Sofia suddenly grinned "No promises", she said winking.

Why do I feel like I would regret this?

Remember to vote and comment✌️