𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟔.

"Hmmm," Dumbledore said, pensively, twirling the end of his beard with one finger, a nervous habit he'd been trying to break for years. "I wasn't expecting this for some time,"

"They know I have him, Headmaster," Snape said, gravely. "Denying who he is won't do any good, it will only make them suspect me more. I can't go into hiding right now either,"

"Why not?" Dumbledore asked. "It's actually what I had in mind. I though maybe Mexico. A little sun would be good for your skin anyway," Then despite the seriousness of the situation, Dumbledore giggled at the thought of Snape with a tan.

"Because they are suspicious enough now that they wouldn't stop searching until they located me, and then we'd all be in serious trouble," Snape said, ignoring the giggles.

"Alright then Severus. What do you have in mind?"

"Being open about it." Snape said. "I have to come up with an excuse for keeping the boy that I can give to the Death Eaters."

Dumbledore took a moment to think about it. He popped a lemon drop into his mouth, sucked on it, had another one, played a game of indoor croquet by himself and then returned to sit across from Severus. "It just might work," he decided. "Do you have something in mind?"

Severus nodded. "It's nothing elaborate, but I know these people. It should work."

"I trust you," Dumbledore said, in what was supposed to be an encouraging way. Snape grimaced, those were words which made him uncomfortable. He wasn't even sure he trusted himself. He said nothing in response but gave a short nod.

"Well then," Dumbledore said, leaning back in his large plushy armchair. "I guess it's time you took Harry on a playdate. You need to visit the Malfoys."

------------------------ ~♥~ ------------------------

Snape couldn't just leave at once, he had classes to attend to. He determined to leave for a little visit as soon as possible, possibly during lunch break. It was morning, and Harry was sleeping soundly. Snape sat at his desk and quickly wrote a short note to the Malfoy's, explaining that he would like to visit to discuss news of some importance as quickly as possible. He tied the message to his owl's leg and hoped the Malfoy's would get the note before breakfast, so that he could have a reply that day. Once that was finished, he went in to wake up Harry. Harry was lying on his side, with his fist in his mouth and the stuffed owl on top of his head. Snape reached down and lifted Harry from the crib.

"No! 'Nape!" Harry whined, shaking his head and screwing his eyes shut. "Pot sleep!"

"No Harry. It's time to wake up," Snape said, noting that Harry had said a new word, a fact which would need to be documented at the first available time. He got Harry dressed and fed quickly, then took a deep breath as they headed up to the Great Hall for breakfast. This wasn't necessarily something Snape was excited to do.

As soon as they entered the Great Hall, Snape had to stop himself from muttering a curse. Next to his seat at the Teacher's table there was a large, plastic high chair.

"Have they no dignity?" Snape asked Harry. "You and I both know that you do not need to sit in such a monstrous seat in order to be fed."

Harry nodded in agreement, the way he knew Snape approved of every time Snape gave him these speeches.

"Ahem," Snape said dryly, reaching Dumbledore. "Harry actually uses a booster seat now. This...contraption...will not be necessary."

Dumbledore smiled innocently. "Oh is that right? Well then, I guess you may sit with him on your lap today until a proper-what did you call it?- booster seat may be found."

Snape bit back his sarcastic comment, because he knew that he didn't want Harry to start using that sort of tone with him once he got old enough to do. Instead he just gave the Headmaster a look, letting him know he was not amused, and sat down in his chair with Harry perched on his knee.

As more and more students began to fill the Hall, Harry became increasingly nervous. He wasn't used to all the people, and his eyes grew large and frightened. He refused each bite Snape tried to feed him, which made Snape frustrated. If Harry didn't eat now, he was just going to get hungry and whiny later, as in during class time. Snape was having a hard enough time staying intimidating as the situation stood. He couldn't afford to take breaks to feed Harry during classes.

"Eat this," Snape said, poking a spoon at Harry's lips.

"Ah oh!" Harry protested, turning his head away and pointing a little finger out at all the students.

"Oh come on," Snape said. "I'm the scary one. Not them. Now listen to Professor Snape like a good little boy."

"No no!" Harry said, his voice getting higher, and his lip poking out.

"Harry," Snape said in a quiet, warning tone. "We do not cause scenes in public places. It's a big no-no. Professor Snape is not raising you to have such manners. Now please eat this food like a big boy,"

Harry knew that tone. It meant 'Napey was serious. He hesitantly opened his mouth and allowed Snape to feed him. The rest of the meal passed without incident, and as soon as Harry was done eating, Snape exited the Great Hall and headed towards his classroom.

------------------------ ~♥~ ------------------------

It had been during his first class that his owl had returned with a reply written by Mrs. Malfoy.

Severus,

If you have something to discuss, and it is what we are supposing it is, then you are right. It needs to be discussed right away. You are most welcome to come this afternoon or whenever you find most convenient. Let us know when.

-Narcissa

Snape was glad they were being so receptive, but he realized a problem. Normally if Snape wanted to get somewhere quickly he would just get off the Hogwarts grounds and then apparate, but he was still hesitant to do so with Harry in tow. With a sigh, he realized that the visit was going to need to be delayed until that weekend, when there would be time to catch a train. He wrote a quick reply, explaining that he would be there Saturday morning, and sent it off with his owl, giving it a quick pat on the head, to thank it for its journey back and forth. Harry was napping peacefully in the office, and Snape returned to class. He had a few more days of semi-normalcy before having to make the situation with Harry worked, and Snape just hoped the Malfoy's would accept his word.