𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟓.

Dinner at the Malfoy house had always been a quiet affair, even as a baby Draco seemed to know that when they were eating in the "polite room", he needed to not throw things and be on his best behavior. However, when provided with a playmate, Draco seemed to forget all of his etiquette. Seated in a booster seat next to Harry, the two boys giggled most of the meal. More food ended up in their hair than in either of their mouths. Lucius and Narcissa smiled at the babies as they made a mess of one another, and the moment the meal was ended, Narcissa knew it was time to give the little boys a bath. Picking up Draco, she grimaced at the mashed potatoes in his hair. The potatoes in Harry's hair looked even worse, but that partly because Harry had so much hair, and the light colored potatoes were very visible in his dark locks. Lucius followed Narcissa up the stairs, to the bathroom where they set to the task of cleaning up the little boys.

When they emerged from the water, rid of all the food they'd accumulated all over themselves through the meal, the little boys were put into their pajamas and carried into Draco's room. Narcissa sat down on the rocking chair and seated both little boys on the chair with her. Then she sang to them and rocked back and forth. Draco shut his eyes and snuggled against his mother's side, moving his little hand on her tummy, opening it and shutting it happily as she sang. Harry looked up at Narcissa with his eyes wide, watching her as she looked down on them, smiling and singing to them softly. Harry didn't know what the sounds she was making meant but he liked them. He wanted Napey to make those sounds for him. When Narcissa stood to put Draco in the crib, he was asleep and didn't stir when she set him down. She left Harry sitting on the big chair, and once Draco was laid down, she returned and picked up Harry. Draco had a separate crib in her bedroom, for when he was fussy, which they had moved into Draco's room for Harry to sleep in. She laid him down and Harry sat up and just looked at her.

"Go to sleep, Harry," Narcissa said, wondering what Severus did to get him to relax. Harry had been happy the entire time he'd been at her home, but he looked nervous now. She put the stuffed owl in his crib with him and Harry hugged the stuffed animal against his body. When she left the room, he was still sitting up and looking around. She hoped he'd calm down soon, and go to sleep.

------------------------ ~♥~ ------------------------

Severus was still working when the sun came up the next morning. He hadn't intended to work through the whole night, but had become engulfed in the riddle of opening the journal. He knew he'd made it past the first series of spells which included the lytning, and a charm which caused people to become confused and lose interest in the journal, as well as an enchantment which simply helped compound the pain caused by the shocks. Now Snape could touch the book without it causing him physical pain, if he cast the right spells on his own hands first. However, the cover still did not budge when he tried to pry it open. He knew he hadn't gotten past all the enchantments either, because each time he came in contact with the book a high pitched, flat toned note split through his head, making it hard to concentrate or even think at all. He carried the journal downstairs to where the other Death Eaters were already seated.

"You look awful," sniggered Sharra, glancing at Snape's gaunt, drawn face.

Snape raised and eyebrow and sat heavily, setting the book down on the table.

Alecto, noticing he'd been holding the book in hand, smiled. "Did you do it Severus? Did you open it?" she asked eagerly.

"No," Snape replied. "I have found a way to get past a few of the first protecting enchantments. I have not, as yet, gotten it open completely."

"Oh? Why?" Goyle asked.

"It seems to be sealed shut, I'm not sure how yet. It also is being protected by a spell of Bellatrix's own devising."

Crabbe winced. He did not know Bellatrix well, but he knew that her spells never were pleasant.

"What does it do?" Redglor Spinetree, the thinner of the two male werewolves, asked.

"Everytime you come in contact with anything being affected by the spell, your concentration will be broken by what sounds like an extremely high pitched scream." Snape said, explaining the spell as best as he could.

"And? Is it painful?" Sharra questioned, looking at the journal with suspicion.

"Quite. In prolonged doses it is also very dangerous," Snape said, trying not to think about the times he had witnessed its use.

"In what way?" this from Mathilde.

"It causes you to lose your mind," Severus answered. The spell had been inspired by the use of the Cruciatus Curse. It was just the way Bellatrix's mind worked.

The Death Eaters around the table regarded the book warily.

"Severus," Amycus began. "We are all leaving day after tomorrow. To go home. Do you think you'll have the journal figured out by then?"

Snape looked thoughtful. "There's no way to say," he said, after a moment's reflection. "Bellatrix's curse has made it difficult for me to penetrate to the next layer of spells. This must be solved before I can do anything else."

"Well," Amycus said. "Continue working on it. If you have not figured it out before we leave then take it with you and continue your study. Would this be possible?"

Snape nodded.

Suddenly Risa Farrell shut Amycus an angry glare and exploded, "You want Severus Snape to take this object back to Hogwarts? Back to Dumbledore?"

Amycus looked startled. "I doubt Severus would hand such an important Death Eater object over," he said.

"And we are so sure of his loyalties how? How?" Risa said. This was the first time she had truly been vocal about her suspicious, but they'd been clear the whole time.

"We've known him a long time," Mathilde said. "He's explained his position already."

"I agree," Crabbe said.

"Well I do not intend on letting him leave here with that journal in his possession!" Risa said, rising from the table.

"We don't even know if it will come to that," Alecto said, shaking her head at Risa. "He may solve it before its time for us to leave!"

"Then again, he may not." Amycus said thoughtfully. "Let's vote on it. Is there anyone else opposed to letting Snape continue his study of the journal, even if that's after we are through here for a time?"

No one else said anything. The werewolves exchanged glances. None of them really knew Snape, but neither did they feel he was untrustworthy.

Risa still stood, breathing hard and looking defiant.

Through all of this Snape sat, looking unconcerned, and gazing at the faces of those seated around the table. His eyes showed nothing but calm, almost indifference. However, he knew things would be complicated if he had to wait until the Death Eaters assembled again to work. Mostly, he didn't want the journal in their possession until that time, lest they figure out a way to open it in the time they had it.

When no one spoke for several seconds Amycus nodded. "It looks like you are alone Risa. Snape will be continuing work, should it be necessary,"

Risa drew her wand.