𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟔.

"You think this wise, Risa?" Snape asked cooly, his dark eyes staring into the face of the woman across the table.
Risa looked nowhere near so calm. Her eyes darted back and forth to the faces of those sitting around her. Some looked shocked, others indifferent. Many looked interested, and the werewolves had even leaned forward in reaction to this new development. The two faces which bothered Risa most however, were the faces of Severus Snape and Mathilde. Snape's demeanor betrayed no fear. He had not even risen from his chair in response to her threat. Mathilde, however, looked on the verge of tears. Her eyes were filled with a look Risa could only classify as panic.

"I...I think it necessary!" Risa responded to Snape's query, voice shaking. Her arms trembled along with her voice, but while her wand was unsteady it remained focused straight at Snape's chest.

"What have I done to merit this distrust?" Snape said, trying to talk Risa out of her foolish intentions. He knew that at the precise moment he could mutter an incantation and have her unarmed. No, he could simply think the incantation and have his wand in his hand in a matter of seconds. However, embarrassing the witch wasn't going to alleviate the problem, and neither was fighting.

"What have you done to earn any trust either?" was Risa's only retort.

Mathilde shook her head fervently. "Risa," she implored. "Don't..."

Risa shot her sister a look, her eyes flashing. "Don't you see it Matty?" she cried. "I know he isn't truly one of us, and he is NOT going to take that book anywhere!" her voice rose in volume and shrillness as she spoke, and once she'd made this declaration she whirled back on Snape.

"Now I'm warning you," she growled. "I'm giving you a fair chance to turn over the book or draw your wand, but I see right through your charade! You're nothing but Dumbledore's pet!"

"Don't be foolish." Though unafraid, Snape was becoming extremely annoyed, and each word was punctuated with an underlying iciness, warning the witch that he wasn't happy with her.

"Stupefy!"

Snape flicked out his wand, and nonverbally disarmed her before her spell could have any affect. Her wand fell to the table and rolled towards Snape, who picked it up.

"Hand it over," Risa growled.

"That's enough!" Amycus said, standing up. "Risa, you are being asked to leave."

"No," Snape interrupted, voice still even and flat. "If you don't mind, I think it would be more prudent if I left. Clearly the rest of you have no objection to my keeping of the book until the next time we meet. It will be easier to get it done in my own space."

"No!" Risa cried out.

"Oh sit down!" Mathilde pleaded, pulling her sister to the chair.

"You're both pathetic," Alecto sneered in their direction.

Amycus shot Alecto a look then nodded at Snape. "Go."

Snape rose from the table, taking the diary with him. He inclined his head to the table of Death Eaters in parting, then was headed out the door and into the afternoon sunlight.

------------------------ ~♥~ ------------------------

It had been a very, very long night for Narcissa Malfoy. She'd gone to check on the boys before going to bed and had found Harry sitting up in his crib, gazing around warily. His face was wet with tears, some still glistening in his eyes. When he saw Narcissa he reached up one arm, the other clutching the owl, and made whining sounds.

"What Harry?" Narcissa said, bending over him. "What do you need?"

"Want Nape..." Harry whispered.

Narcissa picked him up and took him to the rocker, and rocked him back and forth. She'd hoped he'd fall asleep, but the boy didn't. He sat there quietly with his face buried in the owl's back. After half an hour Narcissa had put him back in the crib. The moment she set him down he began crying again.

"Cissa?" Lucius inquired, sticking his head in. "Are you coming?"

"Yes," she replied, casting a worried look an Harry. She straightened up and left the room, hoping that Harry would fall asleep quickly.

------------------------ ~♥~ ------------------------

She'd only been in bed an hour when Narcissa heard crying coming from Draco's room. Upon entering the room she picked up her crying son and bounced him. Casting a look over at Harry's crib she noted that the little boy was still sitting up and looking around.

"Bring Nape?" he asked hopefully.

"No, Harry. Severus isn't back yet. Please go to sleep."

Harry's heartbeat accelerated as a terrible thought occurred to him. What if Napey wasn't coming back? Harry dropped the owl and pulled himself to a standing position using the rail of the crib.

"Nape!" he shouted. "Nape!" Maybe if Nape heard him, he would remember about him and come get him. Tears began to run down his cheeks again as he continued to call for his guardian.

Draco had stopped crying and was staring at Harry. "Sad." he said, pointing at him.

"Shh, Draco. Go to sleep." Narcissa said, laying Draco back down in his crib.

Narcissa picked Harry up again and once more moved to the rocker. There she spent half the night trying to sooth the distraught boy who wanted nothing more than for the potions master to come and get him.

------------------------ ~♥~ ------------------------

It was lunchtime and Draco and Harry were sitting on the floor playing when there was a knock at the door. Dobby went to answer the door, and from the kitchen Narcissa heard the House elf say, "Come in sir! Dobby will lead you to the kitchen."

Within moments Dobby had entered the room and right behind him came Severus Snape.

"NAPE!" Harry shouted. He pushed himself up to standing and took one wobbly step, trying to get to Snape, before falling down.

Snape crossed the room in four quick strides, cape flowing behind him, and scooped Harry up in his arms.

"Have you been behaving, Harry?" he asked.

"Love Nape, love Nape, love Nape!" Harry declared burrowing his face in Snape's shoulder.

Narcissa smiled at the pair and said, "I think that little one's ready to go home."

"Thank you, Narcissa," Snape said, giving her a rare, genuine smile. "I think so too. We'll be in touch."