thirteen

Nathan gradually opened his eyes, wincing at the sudden brightness that flooded Caroline's room. He blinked a few times, allowing his vision to adjust, and slowly became aware that he was cocooned in the warmth of her bedsheets. The scent of her perfume lingered on the pillow beside him, filling him with a sense of contentment as he recollected the events of the previous night.

As he considered snuggling back under the covers, his phone rudely interrupted the tranquillity with its loud ringing. Annoyed, he groaned and fumbled to retrieve it from its hiding spot beneath the pillow.

With a trace of irritation, he answered, "Little brother, what do you want?" His voice was still laced with the remnants of sleep, and he rubbed his eyes in a futile attempt to chase away the grogginess.

"Look, I know you're still angry with me. But I need your help," Stefan's voice came through the phone, carrying a tone of urgency.

Nathan couldn't help but chuckle at the irony of the situation. "That's funny, coming from you, truly," he retorted, his sarcasm seeping through. "You need my help, and yet when you offered to help Damon, you stabbed him in the back. While you were trying to find the perfect knife for Damon's back, you were lying to me. I'd rather not do that again. I've already done it a thousand times."

Stefan let out a heavy sigh, pleading, "Listen, Anna took Elena. I've been searching all night. Damon's blood might still be in her system."

Nathan furrowed his brows, his gaze shifting to the stirring form of Caroline in his arms. "So, what's the problem?" he asked, his tone bordering on indifference. "Then she'll come back."

"Nathan, I'm serious," Stefan implored. "You were with Anna; you know where she's living. Please, tell me. Where can I find her?"

Nathan felt a tug of sympathy for his little brother, and he had no particular issues with Elena. He didn't want her to die, but he also found himself not caring deeply. It simply wasn't his problem. Nathan had spent much of his life doing everything for his brothers to ensure their happiness. However, he was beginning to tire of that role and yearned to live life for himself.

"You know what?" he responded coolly. "I'm kinda busy right now. I'll tell you what, I'll think about it. I'll get back to you as soon as I can."

"Nate, are you—"

Nathan ended the call abruptly, tossing his phone onto the nightstand. Caroline, having overheard a portion of the conversation, rolled over to face him and inquired, "So, are you going to tell me what happened during family bonding?" Her expression bore curiosity and a hint of concern.

Nathan let out a heavy sigh, feeling the weight of his family's drama pressing down on him. He rested his head on his hand, his fingers running through his dishevelled hair. "Simply, Damon and Stefan are annoying," he began, his voice tinged with frustration, "and I'm done doing everything for them. No matter what happens, I somehow am always put in the middle."

Caroline listened intently, her expression filled with empathy as she processed his words. "But Stefan's still your brother," she pointed out gently, her voice soft and understanding. "And it sounded like he needed your help."

Nathan tilted his head, his lips curving into a small, appreciative smile as he looked at her. "Well, if you were listening," he teased playfully, "then you'd know that he lied to me. And he stabbed Damon in the back, which also affected me because, as I said, he lied to me."

Caroline shrugged, her eyes locking onto his as she spoke earnestly, "Well, Damon's an ass, and if you don't want to help him, I'm okay with that." Her words elicited a genuine chuckle from Nathan, drawing out a smile from him. "But this is Stefan," she continued, "the good brother. The one who called you bright and early to ask for your help."