Chapter 21 - Day Out Shopping

Annabeth's POV

September 24

The sun shone into the dorm bedroom, causing me to stir in my sleep. I attempted to ignore it by covering my eyes with the blankets, but it was too late. I was already awake.

      The realization that I had to wake up wasn't as disheartening as usual, since it was the weekend and I would be going into town with the girls. The girls being Hazel, Silena, and Thalia. We were going to be going shopping, which would be my first shopping trip with friends.

     I got dressed into a black skirt and cream colored sweater. I pulled tights on over my legs since it was pretty cold outside, then some thick socks. After that I put on my shoes then went into the bathroom to brush my teeth and somehow manage my hair.

     Once my teeth were brushed and my hair was maintained, I left the girls bedroom and went into the common room.

     In the common room, Hazel was drawing in the corner silently while Zoë and Thalia were bickering as per usual. I spotted Piper and Jason talking and I walked over to them.

     "Hey, Piper. Hi, Jason," I said, giving them a nod as I said their names. Jason smiled at me and Piper turned towards me, grinning madly.

     "Hi, Annabeth!" Piper said, her voice dripping with enthusiasm. I laughed silently as she continued. "I can't wait for you to see the town, it's so cute! You're going to love it, Jason and I are going to be hanging out just the two of us but I know you'll have so much fun with the girls!"

Jason chuckled at his girlfriends excitement as he put a hand on her shoulder. "Breathe, Pipes."

Piper shot him a playful glare before turning back to me. "Are you excited to go see the town for the first time?" She asked.

I heard the boys bedroom door open and I turned to see Percy walk out, looking unusually nervous. He was dressed in a black sweater and jeans. His hair wasn't as wild as usual, and for some reason I found myself missing the messy hair. It made him look so much more carefree. However, he did look quite handsome I'll admit.

Ignoring it, I turned back to face Piper.

"Yeah, I'm sure it'll be fun." I told her in response to her question.

Piper rolled her eyes. "You'll love it, trust me." She promised.

     Just then, Rachel's voice cut through the common room like a knife, as she walked away from Drew and over to Percy.

      "Percy!" She said loudly, and one glance at Percy where he was next to Hazel showed me how uncomfortable he was. He winced slightly but quickly hid it. Then he looked in near shock as his eyes scanned over her. I followed Percy's example and almost choked when I saw Rachel's outfit.

Rachel was still talking, but I didn't hear a word of it. I was dumbfounded by her choice of clothing.

     She was wearing a tight, clean white dress shirt with a few buttons undone in the front. It was tucked into a tight pink miniskirt, made out of leather, for some reason. It was definitely something. She had high heeled pink shoes, which made her look intimidatingly tall. Rachel's usually curly hair was straightened and held up in a clean, slick, high ponytail. Her eyelashes were coated in mascara, and her lips looked plump with lipgloss.

     She was the redhead Barbie, to put it simply.

     Her abnormally tall heeled shoes clicked on the wooden floor of the common room as she walked like a model on a catwalk over to Percy. She hoisted him up and he looked shell shocked. I noticed something, though. Percy's eyes didn't seem to wander over her, the way she seemed to have wanted with that choice of clothing. Instead he held eye contact with her as he put a strained smile on his face and took her arm in his own.