Chapter 48 - Sick

Annabeth's POV
January 9 (lots of fluff in this chapter!)

For the first time in a long time, I didn't want to go to school. Or do schoolwork. Or even get out of bed.

My head hurt and I was sweating. A slight nauseous feeling lingered in my stomach, and I wasn't sure if I'd make it through classes without coating my school supplies in vomit.

Reluctantly, I stood up and began getting ready with the other girls. I didn't really plan on going to our classes, but I didn't want them to ask why I was staying behind. It would be worse if they skipped just to take care of me, which sounds like something Hazel or Piper would do.

So with very slow and painful movements, I brushed my teeth and tried to tame my hair. Hazel was beside me the whole time, also trying to make her own mass of curls look nice.

She tried to keep up some sort of conversation as she readied for class, and I readied for getting right back into bed.

"Are you excited for the Championship Game? January 17, that's not too far away!" Hazel said excitedly.

I gave a meek nod, feeling a bit bad for not having any extra input.

Hazel gave me a sort of side eye, but didn't seem too bothered by my behavior. "I bet Percy'll do great." She tried, glancing at me. She clearly hoped bringing Percy up would get me to talk more.

"I'm sure he will" I agreed, deciding to give Hazel a proper answer.

Hazel seemed pleased enough and we continued prepping.

Eventually we finished, she stepped out of the shared stall after dressing. I followed after her, stopping by my bed to put on my shoes.

When we emerged from the dorm room, I waited until we were just in the center of the common room before I stopped.

"I think I forgot my sweater in the dorm," I lied, knowing I had in fact left it there purposely.

Piper nodded and set her bag down. "Alright, you go fetch it then. We'll wait for you"

I tried not to look bothered by this, and I just shook my head. "No, it's fine, really. You two go on without me, I'll catch up." I assured them, already heading back up the stairs*

Piper seemed reluctant to agree but Hazel nodded. "Sounds good! Be quick, I wanted to stop by the fountain to see Frank."

"Got it," I said, before escaping into the comfort of the bedroom. I stood on the other side of the door (fearless reference!?), pressing my ear to the wood. I heard footsteps, then a door closing.

I sighed in relief, glad that I'd gone without too much interrogation. I then wandered back into the bathroom, undressing out of my uniform and back into my pajamas.

As I was walking back to my bed to lay down again, the door burst open.

I shrieked, jumping backwards. Percy stood in the doorway, looking a bit disheveled.

"Hey, sorry, but Piper sent me up to—" Percy paused mid-statement, giving me a once over. "What're you wearing? Class is in 5 minutes, Annabeth." He said, as if I didn't know.

I nodded slowly, finishing the walk to my bed and sitting down on the edge of it. "I know, I'm not going."

The look of shock on Percy's face was priceless. "But you never skip class?? Don't tell me I'm rubbing off on you," he said, moving to stand in front of me.

"We've done no rubbing on each other. Yet," I said suggestively, a small smirk playing at my lips.

Percy's face went red as a tomato. "I— What!? What's got you saying these things?? Who are you and what have to done with my girlfriend!?" He demanded teasingly.