Alive Again

Mumbo woke up with his head pounding. He tried to move, but his limbs felt incredibly heavy. All he could really do was glance around the room.

He was in his bedroom, surrounded with plush blankets and fluffed-up pillows. He could smell a faint burning scent coming from the kitchen, but he didn’t pay much attention to it.

His eyes landed on the armchair beside him. A blanket was laid on top of it messily and pillows were scattered around on the floor before it. It appeared someone had been sitting there for a while.

Mumbo attempted to sit up again, this time being somewhat successful. He managed to sit up slightly, propping himself up with some pillows. He felt a wave of dizziness follow, leaving him somewhat disoriented.

He glanced up as the door of the room swung open. Grian stepped in, balancing a platter of cookies as he entered. The platter smoked a bit.

Grian’s eyes widened when he saw that Mumbo was awake. He quickly dropped the platter onto the bedside table then rushed over to Mumbo’s side.

“Hey, Mumbo,” he said quietly, “You doing alright?”

Mumbo lifted a heavy arm to his head. He winced at the pain he felt there. He could feel gauze covering the side of his head and bandages wrapped around the back.

“M’ head hurts,” he mumbled. Grian let out a nervous laugh. “Yeah, getting hit in the head with an axe and a rock will do that to you. Sorry about that, by the way,” he said apologetically.

“Eh, probably deserved it,” Mumbo replied, rubbing his head. Grian looked at him inquisitively. “You don’t remember when it happened?” he questioned. Mumbo shook his head. “It’s all a bit fuzzy,” he replied, waving his hand in the air.

Grian hummed in response. Mumbo let out a small groan. “Goodness, it feels like I have a massive hangover,” he commented, still clutching his head.

Grian let out a small chuckle. “Didn't know vampires could get hungover,” he commented. Mumbo shook his head, then wincing at the motion. “They can’t,” he responded.

Grian raised an eyebrow. “Then how do you-?” Mumbo cut him off. “I remember. From before..” he answered quietly.

“Oh,” Grian said in response. After a moment of silence, he quietly asked, “Do you miss it?”

“Hmm?” Mumbo questioned. “Before, I mean,” Grian clarified. “Do you miss Before?”

Mumbo thought quietly for a moment. “Sometimes, yeah. Don’t you ever miss Before?”

Grian, too, thought for a bit. Before Evo?

“Yes, sometimes I do miss Before,” Grian answered. “But,” he added, grabbing a cookie from the platter, “To be fair, there’s more than Before, isn’t there.”

Mumbo looked at him inquisitively. “Well,” Grian clarified, “There’s also After.”

Mumbo hummed in agreement. “I guess… I don’t mind After,” he said. After a moment, he added, “I got to meet you, after all. And meeting you is probably one of the best things that could have happened.”

Grian glanced at Mumbo, a bit surprised. Mumbo’s eyes widened and he felt his face grow warm. He laughed nervously and glanced away, a pink tint filling his face.

“Sorry, that was a bit- uh- weird-,” he began, but he paused as he heard Grian let out a small laugh.

Both Mumbo and Grian smiled to themselves. The two sat in silence for a moment. Mumbo was thinking, trying to grasp any memory of the night before. Everything still felt blurry for him, however.