16. Letter of Promise

Seonghwa made it to Lillwen's quarters without another disruption. Though his mind lingered on Yeosang and what to do to ease his suffering, he focused on his duties. If they departed early from the Singing Swamps, Yeosang would feel better sooner. The dryad wasn't so stubborn to hide his condition from others as Seonghwa was trained to. He would be candid about his needs.

So long as he made his jokes, he would be fine.

Knowing the others would tend to him, Seonghwa didn't need to fret as he knocked against the door leading to Lillwen's office. It was less so a room for studies and war planning and rather a collection of precious goods. At her hum, he opened the door, and she glanced up from a crystallised book she was holding. The worn pages had eternalised themselves underwater and matched the assortment of curious shiny rocks, bones, and other treasures the nymphs found beneath the ocean.

"Seonghwa. Come in," Lillwen greeted him. She lowered the book and sat down at the stone table, just as unnecessary for her purposes. It seemed she was fascinated with creating a replica of a surface room.

Elegantly, Seonghwa bowed as he neared.

"Please excuse my tardiness."

At her beckon, he sunk into the seat opposite her. A compass and a roll of their durable parchment rested before her. The ink of certain sea animals could write below the water, and she had prepared everything necessary for their exchange.

Even some drink and a bowl of sweet scallops under a transparent membrane awaited them.

No upset reflected on Lillwen's expression.

"I have heard of your diplomat's condition. How is he faring?" She offered him the scallops and Seonghwa took one, relishing its buttery taste after the unexpected scare in the morning. Pleased with his presence, Lillwen also relaxed in her chair.

"Much better, thanks to your help. I appreciate your quick aid." Seonghwa elegantly bowed his head. His dainty earrings floated along with the movement, graceful even below the water.

"As fitting of the relationship between our people. Stay until he has recovered."

"We will," Seonghwa promised. When they first allied with the nymphs, he wondered how close their people would get. He could estimate the nymphal healing abilities and their shared roots, but he was afraid the elusive water creatures would not get along with some other races in the kingdom.

Since Seonghwa's husbands were such a charming bunch, however, Lillwen was intrigued by them. Not even her opposing folks, the winged ones, perturbed her.

Though Seonghwa was lucky to achieve her fondness, he dreaded today's conversation. Lillwen knew the titans best. If she bore inadequate news, their union might not be enough against the forces of the orcs.

"Now, shall we dedicate our attention north? I hear the orcs caused quite the ruckus toward the empire in recent days," Lillwen addressed when she noticed Seonghwa's expression shift. He hummed, giving her another summary of his father's diplomatic offers towards them, their visit to the Crystal Sphere, and the following fallout. He didn't dwell on detail, but he stressed that the orcs used their moment to try his life, thus breaking their unspoken truce. Even now, they hadn't settled on peace.

"You must be no stranger to their belligerence. For years, they have plagued their neighbours. The elves suffered most under their greed and I made it my duty as the new emperor to free those unrightfully kept," he finished. His mind lingered with dear Freya. Freed for only a few days while Seonghwa's group travelled the orkish lands, she was so full of joy, full of hope to return to her life.

Many were broken, didn't remember anymore who they were, but just as many fought every day against the brutes. Seonghwa's soul ached when he thought about his people getting tormented by the orcs.