32. Looming War

The depths of the titan lands weren't heated like the Caverns of Nightfall. They were rather chilly, not so frosty as the outside, but layered with a lingering coldness. Yunho's breath was white before his lips and Hongjoong huddled into his cape since he heeded Seonghwa's warning and kept his magic dulled.

Crius carried them through winding corridors along fathomless canyons. The shadows were deep here, but the titans were unafraid. Grand arches supported the ceilings and formed bridges and chambers for meals and rest. Resembling the architecture of their old gods, these buildings weren't worn with age, so the titans must have built them later.

Since they needed light down here, they mimicked a starry night with glowing mushroom cultivations across the ceilings. Their faint blue shine lit the stone and granted just enough sight to thread the paths. Seonghwa assumed Yunho was almost blind down here, and he clutched to Mingi, who was the one to tell him everything would be fine.

No other titans approached them, mindful not to disturb one another. After Seonghwa marvelled at some of them meandering the massive caves as if they were of regular size, Crius dipped down a tunnel. He brought the envoy to a private quarter away from the rest. Since this section was no gaping hollow through the entire land, the light from above suffices to illuminate Crius' living space. His bed was a flat of elevated stone and he carved a platform into the wall to use as a table. Aside from a spear, no belongings decorated his room. It was a modest life, yet the titans didn't fancy gathering more than they needed.

Once his hand lowered, the envoy scrambled onto his table. It offered more than enough space to wander around, but half of Seonghwa's husbands sat down immediately to battle their nausea. While they massaged their legs, Jongho looked around with great interest. Though it was rock which surrounded them and not earth, Yeosang didn't look too uncomfortable, relying on the golem and his might to wield the element if need be.

"Do you need food or water?" Crius asked before he sat down, towering high above them once more. His voice bounded from the corners of the room and resonated in the air until it vibrated with the boom. Seonghwa felt it stir up his melody, the glittering fabric of his soul disturbed in its delicate pattern.

"No, thank you. We came prepared." Seonghwa nodded at his husbands to replenish their energy with food and drink while he sat down. Crius grunted and sunk into his chair. Despite the apparent age in his hair, his body was full of energy. While he settled, Wooyoung huddled between Yunho and Mingi, feeling safe near their taller forms. Hongjoong and San perched at attention behind Seonghwa, and the other two marvelled at the ceiling.

"Do you have a king?" Seonghwa wondered since he hadn't heard of any such power among the titans. He accepted the leather bottle Yeosang handed to him and gulped down the refreshing contents. Though the strain of this mission encumbered him, it already got easier since the titans allowed them in. No orcs would touch them here.

Crius pondered. His fingers caressed through his beard and he watched as Jongho changed his shape so he could sprawl out.

"Our kings are long dead. Their ashes carried off by the winds of time. We are their warriors. Lasting after the traitors executed the ones we served. Our council is just and speaks for all, but no single titan makes decisions."

"So what we discuss will arrive with the others. I laud your system. While I am the voice of law in our lands, my husbands here are diplomats from each country united under my crown. They convey their culture and the messages of their rulers to me, so we may choose in togetherness," Seonghwa explained. Though the titans carried the wisdom of the far past, they didn't mingle with modern races like the golems did. Stuck in the old ways, they were foreign to the empire.