37. The Final Piece

Once everyone cleaned up and got dressed, Seonghwa dedicated himself to his duties with a refreshed mind. Wooyoung still clung to him, feeling cosy and loved under the elf's arm.

"Could you send for Crius?" The emperor asked Hongjoong and without needing to voice his agreement, Hongjoong stepped through his portal. While he was gone, the rest gathered on the ledge of the platform. Seonghwa informed his warriors they should wait and tend to Buddy. Tonight, they would receive their answer.

If the titans disagreed with an alliance on their current terms, Seonghwa was willing to adjust his plans. He would need more meetings with his advisors, many more letters and travels, but he would find a way. Not all was lost and perhaps the wisdom he gained from his visit to the Ruins of Gods would grant him insight into new opportunities. Either to convince them, or find another way to appease the orcs.

Hongjoong returned on Crius' hand. The titan was pleased to see them all gathered and waiting, only briefly notified of their sudden predicament with Wooyoung.

When the hand lowered to float before them, Seonghwa and his husbands climbed atop. Once they had settled, Crius turned to carry them back to the surface with thundering steps.

Seonghwa held on to Jongho's shoulder for balance. The golem warped around him, protecting the elf's lithe frame.

"Thank you for your patience," the emperor called to Crius. The frosty wind from outside swooped down the entrance of the cave. The council must have gathered already, and Seonghwa was grateful for their understanding.

"Have your concerns been resolved?" Crius rumbled, and he swiped his eye over his palm, counting how many little beings he carried today.

"Everything is in order, yes," Seonghwa assured him. He breathed in the evening air when they emerged to the towering forest and the ruins. A starry night twinkled between massive treetops and cast a soft shine across the pale stones.

The titans on their chairs sat so still they might as well have been statues carved of marble. When Crius neared, Asteria, who was the sole titan aside from the council allowed to linger close, sent the approaching group a grin. Seonghwa waved at her when they hopped onto the ground in the council's midst.

Once Crius took his seat, their conference could begin.

"To those of you who haven't met him before, this is Seonghwa, the Moon Emperor of the Crystal Empire. An elf born of the stars and the moon," he introduced and the strangers nodded.

Since Seonghwa's husbands weren't usually part of this side of politics, they kept mute behind him. Seated in a narrow area to keep each other near, they attended the leadership of their husband.

"Seonghwa, we have discussed your proposal among us and came to a decision based on a popularity vote."

The elf held his breath, and he felt the tension of his husbands behind him. Hongjoong's magic coiled around his heart languidly, matching the tense pace of time.

"The titans grant you their allegiance. We share a common foe and your effort for peace honours you. We would like to exchange wisdom and gain your help in preserving the ruins of old," Crius didn't beat around the bush.

Though Seonghwa's glow brightened with his delight, he didn't let it disrupt his smile. Behind him, his husbands exchanged excited looks.

"You honour us. We, too, respect your wisdom and the history you protect. Let us defend our interests against the orcs together," the elf replied elegantly. He bowed his head in gratitude and a few titans nodded along.

"However, there are some conditions to our aid."

Attentive, Seonghwa listened to their demands. Lillwen's had been less direct, more subtle in her intrigue in Seonghwa's children and the nymphs' future opportunities in the empire.