28. First Snow

On the day of their departure, Seonghwa used the early morning hours while his husbands rested to write a letter to Yongguk. He was dressed in his travelling gear, donned soft pants and a long tunic for the ride. His white cloak rimmed with fur rested on the chair behind him and Hongjoong lolled in bed, bare and glorious as his skin shone in the candlelight. The sorcerer still slumbered at peace, so Seonghwa picked up his feather with delicate fingertips to scratch it over the paper. 

Dear Yongguk, he wrote, but then his mind was as if wiped blank. Listless eyes stared into the wintry landscape outside. At the far mountains of the Kingdom of Man. The skies were cloudy and grey today, closing in the cold air as the trees shed their last leaves.

It would be windy out there on the isles. Yongguk always suffered in winter, craved the few hours of sunlight the north received. Should Seonghwa have sent him further south? While the emperor relished the warmth of his castle and shone in the pale of winter's shiny coat, his brother shivered somewhere in bitterness.

The feather lowered by itself, conveying the emperor's feelings. They might be enemies now, but Yongguk was his brother, and they knew each other like no one else.

I hope you are in good health. The days grow shorter and the dancing lights of winter appear in the night sky. Since the sea must be stormy, I will ask my helpers to provide you with light and warmth. I hope you mustn't suffer out there, even if you loathe my taking your crown.

A few days back, I found your pleniflora. You wouldn't believe it, but despite the scent of winter in the air, it is in lush bloom. I had to think of you, of the many times you hid from our teachers in their bushes. Yellow always suited you. Don't worry, Yeosang and I will treat her well. If you wish, I could send you some saplings. Though I am sure that flower follows you anywhere. It is obsessed with your light.

You never told me the name of your child. I hope she and Circe are in the best of health. Tell me if you need anything to soothe winter's harsh grip on you. I wish I could meet your family one day. Perhaps I will visit you on the far isles, if you would have me.

I miss you often, brother. Think about what I could have changed to ease your burden. I always end up disappointed in myself for losing you.

You may disagree, but I believe it would have been in our blood to find a peaceful solution. One where we could have been the same as before, but without hidden fears.

Take care, Yongguk. Father wishes you well.

Seonghwa

After finishing, the elf pondered his letter for a moment. Then he reached for the wax and his seal, a sickle moon behind the Crystal Palace. He left it to dry while he stood and woke Hongjoong. 

The sorcerer stirred at the slender hand tracing up his leg. They needed to leave early since they wanted to use all hours of the day, so breakfast had to happen on horseback. When long lashes batted open to peer at the elf, a rumble stirred in the sorcerer's chest.

"Already time?" He groaned, stretching his limbs, unashamed of his nakedness. His black and white hair tousled in a charming mixture and Seonghwa smiled adoringly at his form.

"You should get dressed," the elf offered as he pressed a kiss to Hongjoong's forehead and stood. The mage got to his feet grumbling, padding over to Seonghwa's mirror across the cold floor that made him shiver. With tired snaps of his fingers, he picked out his outfit, matching soft velvet with practical riding gear.

Not that he would ever look anything less than glamorous.

As the castle came to life, Seungyoun hustled inside to check on his emperor. He found the pair dressed and ready to go. Seonghwa handed him the letter without a name on its front.