30. The Ruins of Gods

The towering peaks of the Sky-Reaching Highlands were blanketed with white. In the windy glens, Hongjoong weaved his protective spells to maintain the heat of the shivering envoy. Though no golem emerged to greet them, Seonghwa felt their curious eyes following the troupe. As they stemmed against the winter rushing through the land to reap its life, the golems lay at ease, frozen into the cold.

Though the snow let up upon crossing the border, the group's tension magnified. After chasing Chieftain Kane and his orkish kidnappers through these fields once, Seonghwa was mindful of the same treacherous traps. He didn't trust the ground below their feet, monitoring it closely. Wooyoung and Mulberry were prohibited from flying through the skies so no one would notice them. Though their eyes would have been helpful in guarding the near fort, Seonghwa didn't accept any risks.

Shrouded in cloaks and magic, the group hastily rode past. They followed along the border of the Nymphal Shores toward the Ruins of Gods. Even if they didn't get permission to enter their territory yet, it was safer to barter over their intrusion with the giants than to be denied from their settlements in the orc marches. 

With all senses strained and nervous eyes flinching back to the fort at the horizon every few seconds, they huddled past. 

But this time, no orcs tried to lure them into a trap. They stuck to their fires and their obscene joys, not minding the little group of travellers in the distance. Since their feeling for magic was dull, they didn't notice the forces moving past. 

After chasing through frozen flatlands for a day and deep into the night since they didn't dare rest, the ancient forests of the giants finally appeared before them. These woodlands were older and more gargantuan than any other. Towering mammoth trees were splotched with foliage not unlike the acorns and oaks of Seonghwa's lands, yet much more massive and with leaves so big to serve as blankets for grown adults. Hidden among lush, dark branches, pale ruins twinkled under the moonlight. Weathered marble from a time long before the modern races walked the earth. 

Seonghwa gathered new hope at the sight. The dread of this area wore on him in addition to his upset about Morana's words. He felt Hongjoong's gazes; knew the sorcerer expected him to ask for their help and admit to his feelings.

But everything was too much. Seonghwa sealed all his strain inside his soul and accepted silently that Hongjoong would stop his undying support if Seonghwa didn't start sharing his issues with the others. Though his refusal stung as well, Seonghwa knew it came from a good place. In due time, he would apologise.

"Is this it?" Wooyoung whispered, hushed for many hours now when he spotted the peculiar area. Its aura was unique, warding off anyone who might foolishly enter. Something ancient lived in these woodlands, protecting them. Even the orcs' dull senses knew not to challenge that spell. It was long forgotten, shrouded in powers few understood to this day. Anyone in their right mind wouldn't tempt the titans to exert their might.

With them as the empire's allies, Seonghwa could uphold peace. The orcs may not respect elves, but they respected the wandering giants.

Now, to gain their friendship.

"Yes. We have arrived," Seonghwa breathed in relief. His glow was dull from his stress and the memories of these lands that haunted him. Of poor Freya and the hope in her eyes that never made it back home. Of all the agony, the fear for his husbands.

Even in Yongguk's clutches, Seonghwa had never been that close to death's icy kiss.

When the elf rolled his shoulders, the rest of his troupe buckled up. For a last time, they glanced at the far fort, then they spurred their mounts for the last stretch. Once in the forest, no orcs would touch them.