47. Precious Seconds

For several days, the Crystal Empire was in a state of absolute security. Guards patrolled every street and checked the inns. Random houses needed to be searched and everyone with even remotely shifty eyes was taken aside for questioning.

Though Seonghwa's allies found a bunch of other criminal hideouts, there was no whiff of his brother. As if he had vanished into the sea foam, neither he nor his family left a trace. No mage kept secrets from Hongjoong and no other accomplice exposed themselves.

It was as if his brother had become invisible.

Every time a bird landed at the balconies to drop off a letter and at every report from the spire, Seonghwa hoped for news. He didn't want to kill his brother, but he needed to know where he was. To apprehend him before he caused suffering.

But alas, that news hadn't arrived yet. And while Jongho and Yeosang mediated in the winter gardens with their Pebble and the rest were out and about perfecting their fighting strategies, Seonghwa settled down with his children to spend time away from all that pressure. Their youthful innocence always softened the strained lines of his features. Learning with them about simple things brought him away from his world of dread and responsibilities. He could marvel at his babies and their adorable little faces for hours.

Morana had a picture book in her lap and Aodhán huddled by her side and formed the images they studied with the sparks of his hands. The sheep plush was tucked next to them as if it learned along, and Onyx perched on Seonghwa's bed. Sunny raced off since she got bored, but where Buddy was, there was always plenty of joy.

Seonghwa was sprawled before them in his black dress. He felt lethargic as the moon's light weakened and long shadows blocked out the shine of the stairs. Though his beauty persisted, it had become ghostly, almost haunting when he wore this colour. He leaned on his side and attended their studies while the castle hummed for them.

"Is bear," Morana pointed and Aodhán made one, agitated in a fighting position on its hind paws. His illusions took more and more shape and while he might never be as powerful as Hongjoong, he could cultivate his magic further than regular humans or elves.

Though Morana was often awed by his skill, she didn't demand it for herself. Everything she demanded was a hat to block out the sunlight.

"Is dee. Is Yeosang!" She pointed and Aodhán memorised by now what the walnut's leafs looked like. Seonghwa hummed at them in awe.

"Tree," he helped his daughter. "Make it sharper, as if spitting."

Morana spluttered all over her chin. Seonghwa suspected it was her little fangs. Mingi had ever the slightest lisp as well, though it drowned in the depths of his rumbling.

"Is Jongho also there?" Aodhán asked, and the two searched the page with watchful expressions. When they found the smallest stone, they argued if that might be him, since it was smaller than Jongho yet too big to be Pebble. They figured it had to be some other golem.

Enamoured by their relationship despite their differences, Seonghwa supported his cheek on his hand. He had a book in front of him but gave up on it because his babies' pinched features were much too distracting.

Where should he bring them if war fell? Where could they be safe like this and merrily chat away without fear in their little hearts? No place in the empire was safe if Yongguk had his spies to guide him through their lands. If the orcs fell in, fires and destruction would find any village unless struck down.

Hongjoong would know something. A place in the aether, lonely and cold, but inaccessible to anyone but the sorcerer himself. A place where his babies could stay until someone picked them up.