48. Retaliation

Though Seonghwa's blood ran cold and chilled his every movement, he didn't hesitate to whirl around to Seungyoun.

"Call for our soldiers immediately. We must strike back before they breach our walls," he ordered. His voice was icy and hard and his two babies fell silent when they realised the gravity of their situation. 

Seonghwa's veils flared behind him when he rushed to pick them up. Morana clung to him, full of confusion, and Aodhán whispered 'Athair' under his breath. With fleeting smiles, he kissed their foreheads.

"I will be back in a while, my loves. Behave and take care of one another." Then he handed both of them to Seungyoun.

This shouldn't have happened. Not with all their security measures. In recent years, only one person pulled off a sudden strike from within. The fires and screams outside reeked of Yongguk's betrayal.

Seonghwa couldn't hesitate, not this time. This was the war he dreaded. Yongguk mobilised the orcs in a final battle against the empire and the winner would take the crown. Now it came down to Seonghwa's leadership. Whether his hard work for his alliances paid off and tilted the balance in their favour.

He was sure Yongguk was among them. Using his silver tongue to call the orcs to arms. If Seonghwa found him, blood would flow. 

The emperor didn't fail. Though he couldn't detect the strike, everyone had braced and his allies were near. 

They could win this. Seonghwa would lead his empire through this slaughter.

However, a smaller part of him was still saddened to hand his children away and make for his weapons. He would have liked to upkeep the stalemate with the orcs.

Maybe the titans had been right. Unless the orc brood disappeared, they would keep getting stronger until, one day, no one could stop them.

"Send word to any ally who might not be informed and bring these two to Hongjoong. He shall tend to their safety."

Seungyoun nodded hastily and made for the door. Before he could leave, Seonghwa called out to him once more.

"Has my father returned yet?"

He must have heard of the mayhem even if he travelled in the other direction. He might make it back in two days, or three. Though he wouldn't avert the war now, Seonghwa needed his guidance as a strategist.

But Seungyoun shook his head.

"If he sent a courier, they didn't make it past the disputes."

Seonghwa nodded grimly. With his spear in his hand, he twirled around, looking equally murderous and beautiful. He was wearied of the fights, of Yongguk's deception and the orcs' belligerence. He hated these warfares.

But if this was the last one... If this meant peace...

"We cannot wait for him. Throw back the attack in the west first, then we will regain our land gradually and push into their grounds until they submit or flee."

This time, Seungyoun got to dash away. Seonghwa tied all of his hair back, leaving his neck bare to breathe in the fresh air.

Tomorrow was the moon eclipse. After that, he would regain the strength he missed in recent days.

Had this timing been planned?

Seonghwa's lips jumped into an ironic smirk. Of course, his brother knew his disadvantage best.

Spear in hand, Seonghwa rushed down the corridor. His husbands were in disarray. Yunho got fitted into his armour and San already stood at the gates, blade in hand, just waiting for Seonghwa's order to bring heavenly justice. In his absence to shelter Seonghwa's dazed babies, Hongjoong's spells weaved a protective wall of magic around the castle, but if Yongguk brought those mythical items that set him free, all spells would be useless against their attack.