46. The Moon Wanes

While the cooks whisked their flavourful magic in the kitchens, Seonghwa tucked into a corner to make a pie. His husbands left him alone with his thoughts. They hadn't known Yongguk for long before he became an enemy, and they wouldn't hesitate to end his existence now. But for Seonghwa, fond memories and old wounds that barely healed came back to the surface. He knew what he had to do. Knew he couldn't imperil his family over his desire to forgive Yongguk once more.

His determination didn't ease the burden on his soul, however. Knowing he had no other choice made things even more difficult.

Little fingers stretched from below. They snuck across the kitchen counter until they found a stray piece of dough and snatched it up. Seonghwa glanced down and his frown lightened into a smile when he watched Morana eat the dough out of her fist. Her big eyes were clueless of the danger brewing in the distance. She merely looked adorable with the two buns of hair atop her head, one streaked with white.

"Do you want to help me?" Seonghwa purred as he knelt before her. His apron was specked with flour, but she hugged him nonetheless, so he could stand up and sit her down on the counter next to his creation. Immediately, her eyes took on a greedy shine.

"It's not ready yet," Seonghwa warned, reading her thoughts. Morana clutched her dirty fingers in her lap, but Seonghwa learned not to run after them to clean up all the time. He was also messy as a child.

"Can have?" Morana pointed at the jar of marmalade and Seonghwa scooped out a spoonful for her. Neither of his two kids knew what they asked for so often, similar to Buddy, who came running at the sound of boiling water. But when Morana tasted the sweet plums, she was elated.

A blond head toddled around the counter, and Aodhán returned from charming every kitchen maid into giving him sweets. Chocolate clung to the corner of his mouth, and he grinned mischievously when he noticed Seonghwa's gaze. His hair matched Morana's today.

"Are you enjoying yourself?" Seonghwa snickered as he handed his creation off to a maid to put it in the stone oven. After washing his hands in the bucket nearby, Seonghwa lifted Aodhán to sit next to his sister and cleaned the wooden countertop while the two merrily watched. Morana brought a wobbly spoon of marmalade to Aodhán's lips, and he relished it.

"Do we celebrate tonight, Athair?" Aodhán asked as he regarded the bustle of the kitchens. The servants heard the news and though their conversation was light, their expressions were clouded over.

"We made friends with the nymphs and the titans, so we have to eat lots in their honour, yes," Seonghwa told them. They were too young to understand his fear. Never met their malicious uncle.

Seonghwa would make sure they never would.

Deft hands tied the elf's hair up to match his babies' buns. Morana giggled at the sight, and Aodhán clapped his hands. Soon, their space was clean and Seonghwa nodded at the cooks to notify him once dinner was ready. Until then, he put his children back on their feet so they could make space for the servants. They left all the ingredients and the apron behind. With one small hand in each of his, Seonghwa led them back out into the dining room.

He wore a black gown today to reflect the addled shadows of his mind. The moon waned these days, but Seonghwa had yet to ask the astronomer why that was. Without its guiding light, he matched the black hugging his body and bedazzling him with glittering stars all over the fabric. The neckline framed his collarbones and left his shoulders free, but it covered the scar on his back that burnt more than usual.

Perhaps he should visit the healer later to check on it. And to obtain a potion to ease his state of mind.

Although Hongjoong would be furious if Seonghwa didn't come to him with that concern.