Our Universe

Dakota:

Alexa holds one of my hands and one of Alex's. Today we give our daughter the world, we teach her a very valuable lesson in life. She's now four and these past three years have been the best.

We decided to leave our apartment. Although it holds many memories, it's no place for Alexa to grow. So we've settled in Baltimore, Maryland.

Alex and I took Alexa up to the roof of a building where it sat high over the water and you could see the top of every building. The air up here is quite fresh and it's a good place to clear your head.

"Alexa, sweetie. Look out, tell daddy what you see." Alexa's long hair cascades to one side of her face.

"Buildings, daddy." I smile.

"It's not just buildings, sweetie. It's a world, Alexa, a big universe and right now it's too big for you, but one day daddy and I are going to give you the world."

"Really?! It's all mine?!" Alex picks her up and pulls me in close.

"Not yet. Alexa you're worth so much, and nobody can ever change you, make you into something you're not."

"That's right." Alex nods. "Alexa, you're what keeps mommy and daddy going and without you, we don't think we could live."

"Alexa, you deserve the best in life and you only get it if you work for it, but be careful because there's always going to be someone who tries to take your sparkle." I tap the top of her nose lightly.

"Mommy, I don't want anyone to take my sparkle away." She shakes her head.

"And they won't, Alexa. You know why?" She shakes her head.

"Because mommy and daddy are going to do everything they can to make sure no one ever does. Alexa, whenever you need us, mommy and daddy will always be there to protect you."

"We love you, Universe."

"I love you guys too." We both kiss one side of her cheek and she wraps her arms around both our necks. Here we stand, my universe and me, starting a new life for ourselves and the world just keeps on spinning.