08 - New Chapter

~ The end of anything is the beginning of something new ~

Kelly walks over to the boy and sits down beside him. However, he scooches away from her, Kelly respects his boundary by staying put.

'Hi', but there was no response from the kid
'I'm Miss Kelly, what's your name?' still he remained mute.

Not minding his lack of interest, she continues speaking. Kelly catches him snickering from time to time, this prompts her to keep talking.

Kelly checks the time and realizes she needs to leave, 'I have to go now, but, I will come back'. The boy simply shrugged.

'You're not happy?'
'Because I know you won't be back'
'Who said so?'
'Other grown-ups say they will come back but they don't'

Kelly falls speechless, 'I'm not other adults, I will visit again. You haven't told me your name.
'I'm Ezra'
'Ezra, what a great name. Ezra, would you like me to get you anything?'

Ezra glances at her, answering in a soft voice, 'Ice cream'
'Ice cream, okay', saying that she waves Ezra goodbye.

Kelly keeps her word stopping by the orphanage the next day with his ice cream. From then on, she visited the facility regularly, to drop in on Ezra.

Ezra gradually warms up to Kelly. Engaging in conversations and playing together. During this time, Kelly finds herself growing fond of the child.

'He is a smart and vibrant boy' Kelly soliloquizes in her room one night.
'He requires parental care at this tender period' taking a deep breath.
'I've gained all I dreamt of, a child of my own will complete my great fortune. Someone to call me mum and inherit my wealth'.

Kelly expresses her desire to adopt Ezra. While the adoption process was ongoing she attained a permit to spend a day with him.

To begin their day, Kelly takes him on a cruise around the vicinity showing breathtaking areas she was sure he hadn't seen.

Following that, the two stop by a diner and Kelly permits Ezra to order whatever he wishes for.

Next, Kelly brings Ezra to a park allowing him to have fun with other kids his age. As she wipes off his sweat with a napkin, Ezra says to her,

'Thank you, mummy'. Her heart fluttered with the pronunciation of the word "mummy", sending cool rushes down her spine.

'What did you call me?'
'Mummy' he replied sharply.
'Would you like it if I were your mother'
'Yes!' eagerly responding, 'I like you very much'.
Kelly sweeps Ezra in her arms affectionately, like a mother would her child.

Finally, she brings Ezra to her house to introduce him to her mother and Andrew. Kelly had spoken about Ezra a few times but they'd never met him in person.

While he wanders around her house in awe, Kelly and Mrs Olivia converse. However, their talk was interrupted by the sound of a loud shatter.

They hastily rush to the passageway simply to find Andrew scolding Ezra who is already in tears.

Ezra had knocked over the flower vase while sprinting. The second he sees Kelly, he runs behind her pinching her dress.

'Who is he, and why is he here?'
'Andy this is Ezra, the boy I've been talking about. I'm going to adopt him, so I brought him to meet his family, and you scold him already?'

'My apologies, I was clueless. Sorry Ezra'
'Whatever! Ezra are you okay?' she inquires, patting his head. Kelly was sure to pamper this kid.

After a few days, the adoption documents were finalized and Ezra was officially Kelly's son.

Kelly decorated his room in a manner that suited his taste. Ezra was given the best care, from the food he ate to the clothes he put on. He attended the best schools in the city.

With her numerous connections, Kelly got Ezra to endorse different brands mainly in the fashion industry.

Training him from a child to a teenage model, he had his face in various magazines. Kelly ultimately transformed his life.
-----
It had been a decade now since Kelly adopted Ezra. Things had changed, and the level of technology growing wildly.

Graham's Realty on the other hand expanded over those years becoming one of the top real estate companies in Ivory.

Amaya is currently the vice president of the firm. Some claimed it was merely because she was Jason's wife, others testified of her efforts to the success of the business.

A small party was held in the office to applaud her promotion. The sound of glasses clanging as they raised a toast.

'Congratulations mum' Joanne speaks walking up to them.

Joanne had the looks of her mother and her father's charismatic nature, to add to that was a straight-A student at school.

'Congratulations Aunty' two of Joanne's friends, Mark, and Roxie, said. The two were twins and the kids of Jason's business partners.

Kelly and Amaya's lives went on nicely, but little did they know their worlds were on the cusp of collision.