11 - Revenge 2

~ Revenge doesn't heal a hurt; it hurts those who are left ~

'Mother and Father gave me a call last night, they wish to come over to Grey's Ville to spend the New Year with us', Amaya says while having breakfast with her family.

'They are always welcome, our home is theirs as well', Jason comments.

'Grandpa and grandma are coming? May I invite my friends, we can have a little get-together on New Year's Eve.

Jason gently strokes Joanne's cheek, 'As you wish, my princess'.

The best guestroom is prepared for their coming, endeavouring to make their stay pleasant.

On New Year's Eve, Ezra was putting on a snazzy outfit when Kelly knocked on his door before entering.

'Ezra will you…' she paused noticing he was all dressed up. 'May I know where you are going?'

He hesitates for a second, 'To see Joanne'
'Just Joanne? Why so dandy?'
'Well, her grandparents are here, and I would like to greet them'.

'So your parents in here in Grey's Ville Amaya?' she mutters beneath her breath.

'Fine. Be home soon before your grandmother'
'By the way, where is grandma?'
'She went to do some last-minute shopping'
'Thank you mama', he walks out of his room.

Kelly was not letting Amaya enjoy her New Year in peace. She gave a command to someone to carry out a wicked deed, and, that was, to shoot Mrs Julia.

'I almost lost my mother because you imprisoned me. I want you to know how that feels, while others will be celebrating tomorrow you will be in tears'.

Unbeknownst to her, Ezra overhears her whole phone call, making him wish he hadn't heard it. He rushed to the Grahams' mansion to warn them but was too late.

Mrs Julia phoned Mrs Olivia to stop by given they were old friends so that they could catch up.

While the two women chatted at the gate, the man Kelly hired drove past on a bike with a gun in one of his hands.

As they turned to walk in, Mrs. Olivia caught sight of the strange biker holding a gun out. She quickly covers Mrs Julia as her instinct inferred.

The gunman misses his target, firing Mrs Olivia instead, the shot hits her spine, rendering her immobile. Kelly's plan had backfired. Mrs Julia lets out a scream, alerting those inside.

Ezra arrives seconds later only to find his grandmother bleeding out. She is taken to a nearby hospital and the doctors begin their work almost immediately.

Mrs Julia, Amaya, and Ezra sit impatiently in the waiting area, Ezra veers around to Amaya, tears welling up in his eyes.

'Ezra, please don't be like that, I'm sure your grandma will be fine'.
'Mrs. Amaya, I know who is behind the shoot-out'.

Amaya's eyes widened at his statement, 'Who?'

Ezra lowers his head in disgrace, 'My mother'. Both Amaya and her mother gasped in shock.

'Oh! Kelly! I knew you were mad at me, but I never expected you'd attempt someone's life.

Ezra gently takes Amaya's hand, 'I know what she did was an offense but, please do not file a report against her'.

The sincerity in Ezra's eyes is glaring.
'I won't. When she sees her mother is in a critical state because of her actions, that will be a good enough punishment.

Kelly arrives moments after receiving a call from the hospital. She barges into the waiting room to find Ezra burying his face in his palms.

Crouching down beside him, 'Ezra, what happened to your grandmother?'

'What else? Your doing backfired' Mrs Julia speaks from behind her.

Hearing her voice, Kelly felt her blood run cold. Her fingers trembled as sweat pierced through her skin.

She swings around to face Mrs Julia, but could not afford to make eye contact with her out of embarrassment. 

'Aunty',
'Shame of you Kelly. You were like a second child to me, and this is how you welcomed me after so many years.

'Aunty, forgive me, I'm sorry. It wasn't my intention to harm anybody'
'But you did and now Olivia is fighting for her life. Imagine if she doesn't survive, how will you live yourself?'

Kelly shakes her head hysterically, tears dripping down her cheeks. 'I wasn't thinking straight. Mammy will endure'.

Mrs. Julia leaves the room without uttering another word. Kelly lands herself on the seat beside her, attempting to process all that just transpired.

After collecting herself, she settles her mother's bills and exits with Ezra, however, Ezra refuses to speak with Kelly for days.

Once Mrs Olivia regains consciousness, the doctors discover her lower limbs have been affected since she took a bullet to her spine.

They recommend she undergo physiotherapy, yet, the chances of her using her legs again we're fifty, to fifty.

On the day of her discharge from the hospital, Kelly tried speaking with her.
'Mammy, how are you feeling?'

'I don't know how to feel. I may become a cripple because of my daughter'.

'Mammy, it wasn't my intention.

'I know it wasn't, but why? Why did you permit bitterness to consume you to this point?'
Mrs. Olivia takes a deep breath, 'Please, leave, I am not willing to face you now'.

Kelly doesn't push it, she runs out without uttering a word.

'My mother might become disabled. I almost killed my second mother. Ezra isn't speaking with me. What if he and mammy don't forgive me?'

Kelly is overwhelmed by these thoughts rummaging her mind and plunges almost instantly into depression.