Shadow of Nassau

Author's POV

The aftermath of the naval battle left the Crimson Tempest heavily battered and in desperate need of repairs. For an entire week, the crew struggled tirelessly, battling exhaustion and the unforgiving sea. Finally, they sailed into the notorious haven of pirates and illicit activities – Nassau.

The sight of Nassau's welcoming shores brought a collective sigh of relief from the crew. Jisoo, still nursing the wounds from the recent encounter, wasted no time in giving orders. The Crimson Tempest was to be anchored near the beach, and repairs commenced immediately.

Under Jisoo's stern but effective guidance, the crew worked tirelessly to fix the ship. They unloaded damaged cannons, repaired rigging, and replaced broken planks. The beach turned into a makeshift shipyard, bustling with activity as pirates worked together for a common cause.

As the ship underwent repairs, the crew engaged in trade with the locals. Goods plundered during their voyages were exchanged for much-needed supplies – food, fresh water, and other necessities. The atmosphere in Nassau was vibrant, a blend of commerce and revelry that defined the pirate lifestyle.

Throughout this chaotic period, Jennie continued her recovery from the injury. Jisoo, though seemingly focused on the ship's repairs, kept a watchful eye on her. Despite the Pirate Queen's stoic exterior, there was a subtle undercurrent of concern whenever she glanced in Jennie's direction.

"Here eat this and take the medicine after." Lisa said, handing her some sweet breads and a liquid medicine.

"Thanks Lisa." Jennie give her a smile.

"You should thank our captain. She is exceptionally caring towards you these days." Lisa winked playfully.

Jennie rolled her eyes, "Maybe God gifted her some sympathy for me."

Lisa shook her head in disbelief. She knew there's an unknown bond formed between their captain and this newcomer.

Jennie came out of her room of an inn. She started to walk towards the beach where, the ship was being repaired. Many pirates were having eyes on her. It was Jisoo's order. She thought Jennie might try to escape or try to find her family. On the other hand, Jennie completely forgot about the lie she once said to Jisoo. She had no intention of leaving because she knew something wrong might happen, at least she was kinda safe with them.

"Did you took medicine?" Jisoo asked, coming from being all of a sudden.

At first Jennie startled but relaxed the next moment.

"Yes." She answered.

While walking side by side, Jennie glanced at Jisoo. She looked exhausted after commanding and working for days.

"Since your injuries are almost recovered, you should start helping others as well. I can't let you off. You are part of the crew. You need to share works with your fellow crewmates." Jisoo said in authorative tone.

Jennie just nodded, knowing she is bound to work to earn food and money here. Sometimes her heart clenched in pain thinking about her life in future, about her parents as well.

One evening, after a day of hard work, the crew decided to unwind at a local tavern. The air was thick with the scent of rum and the sounds of lively chatter. Dancers adorned the stage, providing entertainment for the rowdy pirates. Some revelers disappeared into dark corners with willing companions.

Jennie stuck close to Lisa, observing the scene with a mix of fascination and discomfort. The tavern was a haven for debauchery, a stark contrast to the disciplined life on the ship. Lisa, sensing Jennie's unease, offered a reassuring smile.