IX

It took me a while to get used to the life I once had. I often found myself wondering the castle grounds looking for a place to hide. I was like a feral animal, who's owner's were trying to get it domesticated.

On a rather hot, sunny, summer day, I found myself at a crossroads. I was standing in what looked like a  maze. I didn't know how I got there, I guess that's what happens when one wonders. The path forked left and right.

"I wonder which direction I should take." I said quietly.

"Well the left goes to a place you might enjoy and the right goes to a place you might like for a moment." A soft male voice said.

"Who's there!?!" I asked, pulling out a knife I kept in my boot.

"Oh is there  someone else here?" He asked with  a giggle.

"Come out now!" I screamed. My knife glittered in the candle light.

"Fine." He sighed. A small childlike figure strode out from a dark corner. "Hullo."

I was shocked. I didn't expect to find a child. He had lavender hair that faded to white at the ends, black spectacles that covered his hazel eyes. He wore a white button up shirt with a black vest and slacks, and carried a gray stuffed bunny.

I got on one knee. "Hi. What are you doing here, shouldn't you be in school?"

"Possibly, but I'm afraid I'm lost. You see my family is dead and I have no where to go."

"I'm sorry. Would you like to come with me? We can find our way out together."

"Ok." He said. "You look familiar. Like my aunt."

"I hope that's a complement." I replied with a smile. "Let's go." I grabbed his hand and together we found our way out of the maze.

When we found the exit, we stepped outside. It was almost sunset.

"I forgot my manners. I'm Arimo Al--Arimo. Just call me Arimo." I said as I caught my mistake. "What's yours?"

"Hmm. I seem to have forgot. Give me one would you, please?"

"How about..." I paused, thinking about his new name. "How about, Hugo!"

"I like it." He said with an adorable grin, which faded when we heard a rumble. "I'm hungry."

"Let's get you some. I think dinner is going to start soon."

We made it to the dinning hall, where my family and I ate dinner when there wasn't a feast. I walked in with Hugo. He grasped my hand hard; I could tell he was nervous. That is, until he saw my Uncle, Artie.

Tears started to roll down my Uncle's cheeks, when he saw Hugo.

"Papa!!!" Hugo yelled as he ran towards Artie.

"I missed you so much! How did you find your way?" Artie cried.

"She helped me." Hugo said as he pointed to me. "She wandered into the maze and helped me."

My uncle came and wrapped me in a tight bear hug. "Thank you. He's been missing for a long time. That maze was always tricky." He wept.

"It's no problem. I thought the maze was easy to navigate." I said. "What is his real name?"

"His real name is Jasper Emilio."

"I named him Hugo, because he forgot his real name." I said.

"Hugo is a nice name," Artie said, as he turned to Jasper. "If you want to use that name I'm fine with it."

"Ok. One last question. How old is he?" I asked.

"I'm twelve...I think." Jasper said. "I would like to be called by my real name now, but you can still call me Hugo, cousin."

"Ok. I will, Hugo is easier to remember."