Chapter Thirty Seven

Sorry for the impromptu hiatus. I've been trying to figure out how to wrap up this story, which has led to a case of writer's block and several rewrites of this chapter. Let me know what you think.

Smut warning.

Three weeks after Jovi's return, she catches me crying in the library. She walks over, giving a gentle sigh before pulling me to my feet. She wraps her arms around me.

"Is this about Vix?" she asks softly. I want to lie. I'd bothered both of them enough after weeks of moping about her. But I can't come up with a feasible lie, so I sigh and nod. She hums gently. "I have an idea," she says with a mischievous grin. Before I can ask about it, she's run over to the record player in the corner. She sets a record I don't know into the machine before running back over to me. She takes my hands in hers, giving me another grin as the music starts. She begins jumping around to the upbeat music, forcing me to follow her actions. I can't help but laugh, despite the protests of my body.

The next song that plays is soft and slow. She gives me a gentle smile, putting her hands on my waist. I rest mine around her shoulders, resting my head against her chest. Her heartbeat matches the gentle rhythm of the song. We sway together for a minute before she speaks.

"I'm sorry you're hurting. I'm sorry she left." I sigh, nodding.

"I know you are." She presses a kiss to the top of my head, continuing to sway. "I just hate that Vita and Sevas won't tell me what happened. I get that they want to protect me, but what could possibly hurt more than my mate leaving?" She sighs.

"I don't know, baby. But I trust their judgement. I wish you wouldn't hold it against them." I take a step back, looking up at her with a frown.

"Jovi, how can I not? They're keeping a secret from me, knowing fully well that it's hurting me. Knowing that someone's mate leaving hurts more than anything." She chews on her cheek, like she's resisting the urge to say something. "Just say it," I mumble. She sighs.

"There are two points I'd like to make here. I don't want to hurt your feelings or start a fight, but you've done this to me, too. I know exactly how you're feeling right now."

"But I came back-"

"But before that, you left me in the dark. I didn't know what happened, or if you'd come back. And that hurt." I sigh.

"I'm sorry, Jovi. I'd take it back if I could."

"I know. It's okay. The point I'm trying to make though is that you came back, and she might, too. After all, she didn't reject you. She just left. It's possible she's just taking some space to work through what she did." I shrug, not wanting to talk about it anymore. Even if she did come back, I didn't know if I could let her back in, especially after deciding to keep the baby.

"There was something else I wanted to talk to you about."

"What?" she asks, sitting in one of the chairs. I sit next to her, turning to face her.

"You know how I decided to keep the baby?" She nods. I smile softly, remembering how her and Finley had reacted to that news. There had been so much smiling, and kissing, and then an immediate plan to go get all the things we'd need.

"How would you feel if we named him Aiden, after your dad?" Her face splits into a grin.

"Really? You want to do that?" I nod.

"Absolutely. Everything I've heard about him makes me think he was an amazing person. I'd love for our son to be even half as good." She stands up, wrapping her arms around me tightly.

"I love you," she whispers.

"I love you, too."

Finley's POV