Chapter Thirty Six

Trigger warnings: mentions of miscarriage, murder.

"You're a hard person to find," he says, stepping in without an invitation. My heart pounds in my chest as he sits across from me. "I went to the Adrunait Kingdom. Imagine my surprise when I learned that you're a princess," he says, almost smugly.

"What do you want?" I ask, wrapping my arms almost protectively around myself.

"Relax, I'm just here to talk." I stare at him for a moment before deciding he was telling the truth. I sit back down.

"Then talk."

"I'll give you two some space," Briar says, heading towards the back room. I draw a pattern on my wrist in an attempt to calm myself.

"I went to visit my mother. Your mother showed up and started screaming at her."

"Why?" He sighs, leaning back in his chair.

"Because my mother was tasked with keeping you safe, and she did a terrible job."

"But why is she showing up now? Why not when we first came back?"

"Apparently, the queen wouldn't give her the address until now."

"Why?" He shrugs.

"Your mom didn't say." I stare at him for a moment before he speaks again. "Your mother loves you, you know. She thinks you still hate her." I sigh.

"Why are you telling me all of this?"

"Because I think you need to hear it. The last time we spoke, I got the impression that you were still carrying around a lot of anger, and not just at my parents." I sigh. I want to tell him it's none of his business, but he hadn't done anything to warrant an angry reaction. I couldn't fault him for the shit his parents did.

"I don't hate her," I mutter instead.

"Then you should tell her. I don't think she knows." It's quiet for a second before he changes the subject. "She told me about what Mazus did to you, and a little bit about what he did to her. I'd never gotten the full story about why you ended up with my parents," he explains. "I'm sorry that all happened to you."

"I don't want your pity," I groan. "That's all anyone ever does anymore is pity me." He nods.

"That's how it was for my mother when she kicked my dad out. The whole village found out why and people started treating her differently. She hated it, too." I don't say anything, so he changes the subject. "Do you know what you're having yet?"

"A boy," I say softly. "I found out last night." He grins at me.

"That's amazing. I'm happy for you." He glances at the clock on the wall. "I need to get going, but I do hope you'll keep in touch. I assume you still have my address." I nod at him. He gives me a soft smile. "Until we meet again," he says in a mock-posh accent, giving me an over-dramatic bow before leaving. I laugh softly at his antics. Briar comes back in at the sound of the bell over the door.

"Is everything okay?" she asks. I nod.

"I think so. I should probably go find my mates, though." She pulls me into a warm hug before walking me to the door.

"I hope you'll come visit again when you have a chance." I give her an authentic grin.

"I will."

"Be safe," she smiles. I give a small nod and another smile before heading towards the baby shop. When I walk in, Finley rushes over with a bright smile.

"Look at this!" she says, holding up a blue onesie. It has a little fox stitched onto the front.

"That's cute," I laugh. She grins, grabbing my hands and pulling me towards my other mates. Jovi has a basket full of pink and blue onesies. When she sees me, her eyes widen.